🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: Cancel Contract / End Contract
Page options
carolinebogart
Community Member

Cancel Contract / End Contract

How do I cancel a contract and release escrow back to me. The freelancer and I have mutually agreed to cancel without payment.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Caroline,

You can go to your Jobs>Contracts and click on the name of the freelancer. Then from the contract details you can click End Contract. On the next page you will be asked if you would like to release funed amount to the freelancer or refund it to you. Choose the appropriate option and make sure you provide honest feedback.

I hope it helps.

~ Valeria
Upwork

View solution in original post

90 REPLIES 90
kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Caroline,

You can go to your Jobs>Contracts and click on the name of the freelancer. Then from the contract details you can click End Contract. On the next page you will be asked if you would like to release funed amount to the freelancer or refund it to you. Choose the appropriate option and make sure you provide honest feedback.

I hope it helps.

~ Valeria
Upwork

thank you

Hi,

I also have question about ending contract. I accepted job 2 days ago. Client set 5 milestones (first mileston $0.01, total $200). Yesterday he sent me message to stop working and he do not answer my messages.

If I end contract will Upwork charge a fee of $20? 

Will client be able to leave feedback as he paid whole amount?

Thank you in advance.

Marija

re: "If I end contract will Upwork charge a fee of $20?"

No.

Upwork does not charge the fee if you're not paid.

ANOTHER major online work platform DOES do that. Upwork does NOT.

Thank you.

re: "Will client be able to leave feedback as he paid whole amount?"

If ANY money changes hands, the client can leave feedback.

If you earned one dollar, the client can leave feedback.

If you earned zero, then there is no way for the client to leave feedback that appears on your profile page.

(However, keep in mind that there may be private feedback or a client's classification of why a project failed, even if no money was paid. A contract for which no money was paid is likely to have a negative impact on your Job Success Score.)

"Sometimes contracts start, but due to the client or freelancer, no activity takes place. After a reasonable period of time, these contracts impact your score. Ending these contracts quickly or requesting the client close the contract as soon as possible can prevent this situation."

What is reasonable period?

Is it better to end it as soon as possible?

How much % it can decrease my score?

re: "Is it better to end it as soon as possible?"

Yes.

If you have a contract for which no money will be charged, it is better to end the contract as soon as possible. There is no benefit to having an open contract for which no money will ever be exchanged.

If the contract ends because the client does not need the work done any more or let's say their company bankrupts and they can't continue, does it also influence our job success rate?

Hello, 

could you please tell me if this option is already valid? I mean the option to refund the amount to me)

Thanks

Hi Ugo,

Yes, you can also click on the contract title and use the Cancel Contract button in the upper-right corner of the Workroom to the same effect. Please note that I'd strongly advise you to communicate with your freelancer before taking this action on your contract.

Let me know if you need further assistance.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

Hi there!

I finally bumped into the client you don't want to have. She hired me to proofread a website that had a machine translation. I took care of it, then she said she was going to add "a few pages" to translate. It turns out those "few pages" are now more than 60 and she wants to keep the same budget. I'm not willing to do this. Can I cancel the contract? I feel this client is trying to trick me honestly.

How do I cancel a contract with a freelancer and not be charged? The freelancer has provided incomplete work and does not meet the deadline, please let me know what to do?

Hello, I followed these instructions but wasn't asked to be refund... The freelancer didn't do what was asked from him. 

How do I get my money back ?

Thanks

Benjamin,

Unlike Caroline's, your contract was hourly. Payments are processed differently on hourly contracts. Since the freelancer logged hours today, you will be billed for these hours automatically next Monday. You'll also have from next Monday to Friday at 23:59 UTC to review work and dispute the hours the freelancer logged. You can learn more about the dispute process here. Before you decide to dispute, please communicate with the freelancer and try to resolve the issue amicably. They may be willing to correct the issue and deliver work as agreed.

~ Valeria
Upwork

It helped me a lot. Thanks. 

Hi ma'am.

I recently ended contract with my client. The issue was even providing more and more design to him for his satsfaction, but he say, Not this, Not this , don't like. So you know at least i feel he is just wasting my time and he not explain or unable to explain what he actually want. So I ended. 

My question is; does ending contract put any nagetive effect to my profile ? I leave good feedback for him but he dind't leave any feedback for me.  Please guide that should I worry or just go to bidding next projects?

Thank You!

Hi,

I'm a freelancer. I canceled a job. But after request by client I completed that. But the client didn't accept the cancelation. Now he want to pay me. So how can he pay me on the contract?

Thank you

-Rifat

Hi Rifat,

Did you rejected the offer or closed the contract after you were hired without getting paid? Your client can send you the funds as a bonus at a any time or rehire you on another contract if both of you would like to provide feedback on the contract once it's closed. I would also suggest to check out this Thread and learn more about Upwork and how it works. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hello Goran,

Thanks much replaying my message. No, I didn't reject that. I accepted that, but the client was too much hurry. So I told him, and canceled that contract. But he didn't cancel that. 

The job completed so, now he asked me how he can pay me. He actually couldn't find how to give payment of this contract. If you can, please give me instruction so I can tell him and also it will help me to know more of upwork.

Thank You

-Rifat

Hi Rifat,

Your client can still issue a bonus payment on that contract by going to jobs and under contracts page they can select the contract that you are referring to and in the upper right corner of contract room, they may find three dots that will show you Give Bonus when selected. Let us know if you have any questions or need further assistance.

~ Bojan
Upwork

It's solved.

Thank you very much

Followed the instuctions and lost all my money, upwork never gave me an option to refund my escrow

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Alex,

I checked this for you, and the refund for your last closed contract was successful on our end. You can check this in your Transactions. After the refund is initiated, it typically takes 2 to 5 business days for the money to be refunded back to your credit card. 

If this is not the case you're referring to, please click on my name and send me a PM with the Contract ID of the contract you're referring to. I'll check that for you and assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork

How do I cancel a contract with a freelancer and release escrow back to me? The freelancer has provided incomplete work and does not meet the deadline, please let me know what to do?

Hi Kym,

I checked and it looks like the contract you're referring to is a Fixed-Price contract. I see the funds are still in Escrow so you can request an Escrow Refund. To request an escrow refund:

Go to My Jobs to locate the contract
Click the (...) options menu and select End contract
Choose Pay nothing and request a refund

Your freelancer will have seven days to respond to the refund request, if no action is taken on their end the funds will be refunded. You can read more about this here.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork
c38c900e
Community Member

Where did the End Contract button go?? It seems to have disappeared today.

Hi Enlai,

I've checked and do see the End Contract option on the contracts on your account. I also see you were able to end a contract within the last hour, so let me know if you need additional assistance with this process.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

Thanks! Looks like it is fixed now. I've included the before and after screenshots.

2016-04-20_1256.png

I’m trying to end someone’s contract, but I keep getting error 504.

Hi Natasha,

Could you please try ending the contract using a different browser or after clearing cache and cookies? Please, let me know if it still doesn't work.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Hi Valeria,

I tried with Firefox and Chrome, and also cleared cache. I continue to get error 540.

Thanks.

Natasha,

It appears there is a bug that prevents some clients from closing contracts. Our engineers are working to fix it soon. I'll update this thread once the fix is released.

Sorry about the inconvenience. 

~ Valeria
Upwork

It's solved. 

Thank you very much

To be fair... some of this confusion is understandable given the multiple different ways that this process is referred to, both within the user interface and within help documentation and discussions:

- End Contract

- Cancel Contract

- close a contract

- terminate a contract

lemuellogan78
Community Member

I accepted a job and due to time difference and time conflict, the client thought about endint the contract as he was getting impatient about fixing his issue. When I started to become available, he ended the contract and requested for a refund. However, after a couple of back and forth messages, he agreed to continue with me and we fixed his main after a couple of hours.

Now, how am I going to get paid since he ended the contract and asked for a refund earlier?

TIA.

Hi Lemuel,

Since the funds for this contract are still in Escrow, you can decline the client's refund request and they can later authorize the release of those funds to you. Please note that you should only accept contracts you're absolutely certain you have the time to complete.

~ Vladimir
Upwork
romanova1
Community Member

Hello,

I recently accepted a job offer. The first milestone is set. But I want to cancel the contract. No funds were released. 

I am wondering if I would have to go through account holding if I end it, and If I have to leave some public review? 

Thank you.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths