cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancel Contract / End Contract

Caroline B Member Since: Jul 5, 2015
1 of 64

How do I cancel a contract and release escrow back to me. The freelancer and I have mutually agreed to cancel without payment.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
BEST ANSWER
2 of 64

Hi Caroline,

You can go to your Jobs>Contracts and click on the name of the freelancer. Then from the contract details you can click End Contract. On the next page you will be asked if you would like to release funed amount to the freelancer or refund it to you. Choose the appropriate option and make sure you provide honest feedback.

I hope it helps.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Caroline B Member Since: Jul 5, 2015
3 of 64

thank you

Marija J Member Since: Mar 22, 2016
4 of 64

Hi,

I also have question about ending contract. I accepted job 2 days ago. Client set 5 milestones (first mileston $0.01, total $200). Yesterday he sent me message to stop working and he do not answer my messages.

If I end contract will Upwork charge a fee of $20? 

Will client be able to leave feedback as he paid whole amount?

Thank you in advance.

Marija

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
5 of 64

re: "If I end contract will Upwork charge a fee of $20?"

No.

Upwork does not charge the fee if you're not paid.

ANOTHER major online work platform DOES do that. Upwork does NOT.

6 of 64

Thank you.

Community Guru
7 of 64

re: "Will client be able to leave feedback as he paid whole amount?"

If ANY money changes hands, the client can leave feedback.

If you earned one dollar, the client can leave feedback.

If you earned zero, then there is no way for the client to leave feedback that appears on your profile page.

(However, keep in mind that there may be private feedback or a client's classification of why a project failed, even if no money was paid. A contract for which no money was paid is likely to have a negative impact on your Job Success Score.)

8 of 64

"Sometimes contracts start, but due to the client or freelancer, no activity takes place. After a reasonable period of time, these contracts impact your score. Ending these contracts quickly or requesting the client close the contract as soon as possible can prevent this situation."

What is reasonable period?

Is it better to end it as soon as possible?

How much % it can decrease my score?

Community Guru
9 of 64

re: "Is it better to end it as soon as possible?"

Yes.

If you have a contract for which no money will be charged, it is better to end the contract as soon as possible. There is no benefit to having an open contract for which no money will ever be exchanged.

Mijo Đ Member Since: Sep 2, 2015
10 of 64

If the contract ends because the client does not need the work done any more or let's say their company bankrupts and they can't continue, does it also influence our job success rate?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS