Did you mean: 

Cancel Contract / End Contract

Jasmina R Member Since: May 8, 2016
41 of 66
Thank you for your answer.
Ace Contributor
Ashley C Member Since: Jul 19, 2016
42 of 66

I'm new to Upwork and learned a lesson recently about not accepting a contract until I have ALL of the details. 

I won't make this mistake again, but now I'm unsure what to do about my current situation. The deadline for the work is supposed to be tomorrow, but the directions from the client are so vague that I cannot possibly complete (or even really begin) the job. I've messaged him questions a few times with no response. 

Basically, I'm wondering what I should do to avoid a negative impact on my Job Success Score. Should I just end the contract? I don't want it to be open for a long period of time without anything being done. I also don't want to submit something that is not what the client wants and receive negative feedback.

Thanks!

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
43 of 66

Hi Ashley, 

We encourage freelancers and clients to communicate professionally and extensively, discuss all the terms, deadlines and details before the offer is ever made and accepted. I suggest that you continue communicating with your client before you decide on closing your contracts. 

If the contract is ended, both you and your client will have the opportunity to provide feedback during the 14-day review period. Your Job Success Score won't be affected negatively if you as a freelancer close your contracts, unless there's a pattern of contracts with no feedback.

The party that ends the contract is required to leave feedback, and we'd advise building your communication and relationships with clients in a way that you don't need to close the contracts yourself.

-Avery
Untitled
Ancuta P Member Since: Aug 8, 2016
44 of 66

Hello!

I have also an "End Contract" problem. I have an hourly contract and I agreed with my client to set manually a fixed number of hours, I finished the job succesfully and the client was very satisfied but I didn't submited my work before the client ended the contract. What can we do now? The contract is ended with 0 hours, but the client is very satisfied and want to pay, can we reopen the contract?  

Thank you!

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
45 of 66

re: "What can we do now? The contract is ended with 0 hours, but the client is very satisfied and want to pay, can we reopen the contract?"

Ancuta:

Clients can pay you the hourly money you earned in the form of a bonus (of any amount they choose) using the Bonus feature, even if your contract is closed.

Alternatively, the client could create a new contract that allows manually-logged time, let you add the manual time, and then close that contract.

Ancuta P Member Since: Aug 8, 2016
46 of 66

Thank you very much!

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
47 of 66

Hi Ancuta,

I see you already reached out to your client regarding issuing a bonus payment. Please note that bonus payments are not covered by our Payment Protection program. You can also find more information about working and getting paid on Hourly jobs here and here.

Manuel R Member Since: Aug 22, 2017
48 of 66

Hi

I already paid a contract but I and the freelancer agree to refund the money because the work wasn't fixed.

I would like some help because I do not know if end the contract or not.  how can I do this process to take my money back? 

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
49 of 66

Hi Manuel,

If the payment was released on your contract, you'll need to communicate with your freelancer regarding issuing a refund in order to get the funds back. If this was already agreed, you can keep the contract open until you receive the refund but note that refunds can be issued on closed contracts as well.

Mhd Ghazwan A Member Since: Aug 30, 2016
50 of 66

Hi,

I need to end a contract wich is aready paid, the freelancer keeping postponding finishing the poject since 45 days so far.....what is my best solution in this situation please !

Thanx

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS