🐈
» Forums » Clients » Cancel Contract - receive code
Page options
e1efdb55
Community Member

Cancel Contract - receive code

Hi!  I am mid-contract (hourly pay) with a freelancer and would like to cancel it.  They have had issues with basic functionality and I am not confident they can complete the more complicated business requirements in the scope.  I have let them know this and they keep asking me to authorize more time.  I do not wish to do this.  Are they obligated to provide the code complete and paid for so far if I cancel the contract?  Thank you,

2 REPLIES 2
prestonhunter
Community Member

Wendy, this is an hourly contract. The source code and all other work they produced while logging time on your contract belongs to you.

If they have not already provided all of this to you, without you even needing to ask for it, then they are behaving unprofessionally.

If they are asking for more time, feel free to tell them you will authorize more time, as soon as they send you all of the source code files.

After they send you the files, then you can authorize more time. Authorize as much time as they want. Then, one second later, close the contract.

prestonhunter
Community Member

When I am hired by a client, I set up a central server where I do all the work, and I provide the client with the root credentials, so that the client has continuous access to all work, in real time.

You should not continue working with any freelancer who does not provide you with the source code files. Even if you like their work, such a freelancer is not to be trusted.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths