🐈
» Forums » Clients » Cancel Unfulfilled Contract Without Paying Fr...
Page options
7867b674
Community Member

Cancel Unfulfilled Contract Without Paying Freelancer

I have hired a freelance programmer several times and have been quite pleased with his work. This current project I hired him for now though, is up in the air for about 2 weeks now. He has not responded to my messages at all. I need the update to my software done but my funds is already in escrow and the contract is already award to him.

Is there a way for me to cancel the contract without paying him so I can hire someone else to do the work?

2 REPLIES 2
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Jonathan,

I`m sorry to hear this. If you are ending a fixed-price contract and there are remaining funds in escrow that are no longer required for the project, you can request an escrow refund. To learn more about this check out this Help Article

If you have any additional questions or you need further help with something, let me know. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
prestonhunter
Community Member

Jonathan, the answer is "yes."

And the good news is you can do this yourself. You don't need Upwork's help. You don't need the freelancer's help.

Go to your contract list. Click on the contract name, which takes you to the dedicated contract page. Click on the "three dots" icon, to display a drop down menu. Click the option to close or end or cancel the contract.

You can then edit the amount of money to release to the freelancer to be zero.

This will send a request to him to approve the refund. He isn't responding, so in seven days, the money will be released back to you AUTOMATICALLY. If the freelancer DOES respond and agrees to the refund immediately, thsen that is even better. Either way, you get the money back... it goes to your funding account (e.g. credit card).

Latest Articles
Learning Paths