cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancel automatic payments

Highlighted
Stephanie D Member Since: May 23, 2017
1 of 10

I would like to disable the automatic payment of invoices sent by the freelancers. We have to verify their work and hours and then validate their invoice. Right now the amount goes of our Paypal account without nany warning! Can you please let me know how to proceed as I'm not able to edit anything at the moment, even with full account permissions. Thanks!

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
2 of 10

Hi Stephanie,

You can review the freelancer's Work Diary and if needed pause the contract from the Workroom. If you're referring to the payment for the hours your freelancer logged last week, you have until Friday this week to check and dispute any segments not related to your contract.

Highlighted
David J Member Since: Sep 11, 2020
3 of 10

I have this problem. and I want to add that this is the #1 reason I am moving off upwork. 

I have had two many problems with software contractors logging weekly hours (even with your tools), but not giving me any work product or evidence of work.  I'm not okay with them billing 2-3 weeks in a row without checking in source code, and I'm not going to fight with upwork's systems. It's like they get lazy and just start milking the auto-billing system of upwork. 

I am much more comfortable using hubstaff for managing contractors, which works just like Upwork, except it doesn't pay them until I push the button to say they get paid. When I use this system, the contractors give me evidence of work every week. 

If upwork changes this, so I can set a contract to turn off auto-billing, so I have to push the button to pay them.. then I will manage contractors on upwork again.

Highlighted
Andrea G Moderator Member Since: Jul 7, 2020
4 of 10

Hi David,

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with your contracts. Thank you for sharing your thoughts, we'll be sure to share them with the team.
In the meantime, it sounds like you're using Hourly Contracts to work with your freelancers. Have you considered using Fixed-Price contracts? With this kind of contract, you can pay once the freelancer delivers work. Funds are deposited into Upwork escrow and you'll have the chance to review your freelancer’s work before any payment is released to them.
You can check out this help article for more information on Hourly vs. Fixed-Price Projects.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Untitled
Highlighted
Cameron A Member Since: Oct 12, 2020
5 of 10

+1 this needs to be a feature

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
6 of 10

@Stephanie D wrote:

I would like to disable the automatic payment of invoices sent by the freelancers. We have to verify their work and hours and then validate their invoice. Right now the amount goes of our Paypal account without any warning.

It does not get charged "without any warning," this is how hourly contracts work and you can not disable that.

Any hours up to the weekly limit set by you logged during any given work week are charged on the Monday following that work week.

Highlighted
Brendon H Member Since: Aug 20, 2018
7 of 10
I can somewhat understand this, but the client should be able to see the results they’re paying for, rather than allowing the freelancer to keep logging hours onto a bill without giving the client the results.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
8 of 10

re: "I can somewhat understand this, but the client should be able to see the results they’re paying for, rather than allowing the freelancer to keep logging hours onto a bill without giving the client the results."

You can use the current tools to do this.

Just limit the amount of time a freelancer can log.

You can limit to as much as one hour.

Have the freelancer submit the work.

Review it.

If you like the work, then allow a little more time.

Highlighted
Brendon H Member Since: Aug 20, 2018
9 of 10
Thanks for this! Really useful information.

I’m new to this, so I wanted to be sure the client side was understood while making sure I’m doing right by the freelancer as well.
Highlighted
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
10 of 10

Hi Brendon, 

As a new client, you may want to check the resources we have compiled here for both clients and freelancers to help users get started on Upwork.

-Avery
Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS