cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancellation of Bonus

Cyprian K Member Since: Feb 14, 2018
1 of 10

Hi, I would like to cancel a bonus that I offered to my freelancer since he doesnt reply to my messages and he has taken too long to submit my project, despite me having paid him the full amount of the full project. And please help me how to deal with such a freelancer because am feeling like he has scammed me. I have heard no milestone on the project since January 20th.Please help me.

Ace Contributor
Mario U Member Since: Oct 8, 2017
2 of 10

Hi Cyprian,

Here is an article that i think answers your question.

Best,

Mario

Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
3 of 10

Hi Cyprian,

One of our team members will contact you directly via ticket and assist you further, thank you.

Untitled
4 of 10

Alright am waiting Thanks for the reply

5 of 10

Hi I have not yet received message from support yet

6 of 10

Hi Gorav, I have not yet received message from support yet

Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
7 of 10

Mario, your information is irrelevant because bonus payments don't go through escrow.

Cyprian, why did you give your freelancer a bonus if they're not responding to you? Unfortunately bonus payments have no payment protection or dispute option because they're specifically designed for you to use to reward excellent work, not to pay for work being done (as that is done through a milestone).

Do you have any funded milestones pending? If you have already approved milestones, you can't get that money back either. You should only approve a milestone when you have received the work and are satisfied with it. You say that you've paid the freelancer the full amount of the projecct - why would you pay them if you haven't received anything?

Alphon J Member Since: Dec 28, 2018
8 of 10

While it’s never easy to break the news that employees will not receive the bonus they expect every year, it can sometimes be a mandatory move to ensure that the company will hit all of its goals without having to use more drastic measures such as a layoff or RIF mybkexperience.

Community Leader
Andrei T Member Since: Aug 30, 2016
9 of 10

You pay a bonus for past activity/performance, not for future work. So you cannot take it back, because there is no obligation on the part of the freelancer to do anything.

If there was any other agreement about this bonus, it was just between you and the freelancer so Upwork cannot enforce it.

You can wait and see if the freelancer delivers the work as promised or you can create a new job post and get it done through a contract so you get the protection associated with that.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
10 of 10

If the original poster "offered" a bonus to a freelancer (which is the word he used), then he does not need to do anything in order to cancel it. Just don't pay it.

If he already "paid" the freelancer a bonus, then Upwork can not help him retrieve the money. But he is allowed to send a request to thr freelancer to ask that the freelancer send him a refund for that amount.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS