cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot hire freelancer

Marijana S Member Since: Aug 4, 2017
1 of 10

I cannot hire a freelancer, because it always says that this freelancer is not available. My problem is that i do not have a lot of time and need to hire him immediately. Thank you for your answer.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 10

Hire someone else. There are millions to choose from.

Sound like the one you want to hire is not approved or already suspended.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 10

I'm not the freelancer you are trying to hire. But I am a freelancer who usually sets my availability status to not available.

I like working for clients and earning money, but when my correct clients have more work for me than I have time to complete, I can't take on more work.

I can assure you that if you need something done soon, if you somehow managed to hire me you would only be disappointed in my ability to schedule your work as a priority. You would be better off hiring somebody who is genuinely looking for work rather than hiring someone who is trying to avoid taking on new projects.

Community Guru
4 of 10

re: "My problem is that i do not have a lot of time and need to hire him immediately"

Also: if I truly "do not have a lot of time", then it makes no sense whatsoever to hire only one freelancer if I need to hire freelancers I have not worked with before.

Your preferred freelancer is not available. You must hire strangers. Therefore, if time truly is of the essence, you need to post a job explaining the scheduling demands of the project. Use an hourly contract. Hire multiple freelancers. Tell them that you need a certain amount of work done, and when the work is done, by the team, the project is over. That way you are being honest and transparent.

"The team" is all the freelancers you hire to work on this. It is not a formal team or agency.

When the work is done, close the contracts. Everybody gets paid for their time. If somebody doesn't work, they don't get paid. It is very fair. I have done this many times.

5 of 10

We have already been in touch. So the only thing that is missing is the offer. And I know how Upwork works, it is fair and everything. I never said it is not. But I already tried different translators and some of them were not really satisfactory. I just posted this question to see if someone else has this problem as well and knows what to do. 

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
6 of 10

Hi Marijana,

Have you communicated already with the freelancer in question? If they can't accept more work, you can select a different freelancer you shortlisted or will shortlist.

7 of 10

I already had contact with him and he told me that everything should be ok. On his profile the status says that he is available. 

Community Guru
8 of 10

I don't doubt that this is disappointing. But Upwork is not going to do anything at all to push this freelancer to accept work or do work. That's not a service Upwork provides.

You might enjoy meeting some other translators! I guarantee you that if you hire 5 other translators for this project you'll find at least one that you find is more reliable and more fun to work with than the person who isn't responding to you right now.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
9 of 10

@Preston H wrote:

I guarantee you that if you hire 5 other translators for this project you'll find at least one that you find is more reliable and more fun to work with than the person who isn't responding to you right now.

The person IS responding, there is a glitch or problem with that account that prevents the hire button from allowing the hire to go through.

plus if all you have is a little translation into a language you don't speak, hiring 5 translators to do it means you have to pay your proofreader 5 times as much to proofread 5 translations, and your $ 100 translation plus $ 30 proofreading turns into $ 500 plus $ 150 proofreading.

Just not practical.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
10 of 10

Marijana,

It looks like there are some issues with the freelancer's account. He would first need to resolve those issues in order for you to be able to hire him for a contract.

~ Valeria
Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS