cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing my account type.

Daniel J Member Since: Feb 13, 2017
1 of 6

Hi there,

A few years ago I set up an Upwork account as a client in order to find freelancers for a specific project.

I haven't used my account since then, but now wish to close that account down (as I never use it) and create a new account as a Freelancer (as I am now looking for freelance work).

Before I do this, I wanted to check if this is an acceptable thing to do.

I've read in other threads here that a recommended approach has been to set up both a client and a freelancer account in one, but I don't wish to keep my client account anymore.

Please advise on the best way to proceed.

Many thanks,

Dan

Alexey P Member Since: Feb 6, 2017
2 of 6

Hi Daniel,

1. Click the Accounts menu, choose Settings, and then click My Info.
  2. Click the Create a New Account link at the bottom.
  3. Select New Freelancer Account.
  4. Once set up, use the Accounts menu to switch between using Upwork as a client or freelancer.

Best,

Alex

3 of 6

Thanks Alex,

Would I be able to delete my old client account and set up a new freelancer one?

The reason I ask is that I no longer wish to keep my client account active.

Best,

Daniel

Alexey P Member Since: Feb 6, 2017
4 of 6

Hi,

You can create new one (freelancer) and keep with you your client account ( but not use it). If you need to close it - you need to contact Upwork Support

Best,

Alex

5 of 6

Thanks Alexey,

I've just tried to connect to Upwork support but it doesn't seem to be available at the moment.

Am I right in thinking I'm not allowed close my account manually then re-open one as a freelancer then?

Best,

Daniel

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
6 of 6

Hi Daniel,

There is no need for you to close your current account and open another one since you can add a freelancer profile to the current account as Alexey explained in his first post. There is only one account allowed per user on Upwork.

~ Valeria
Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS