🐈
» Forums » Support » Re: Charge Failed
Page options
hassanwaqar71
Community Member

Unable to add/use payment method

Hi, Upwork can't accept my credit card for some reason, it keeps on declining it.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
JoanneP

Hi Hassan

In general, this happens when the transactions you’re attempting on your card keep being declined by the bank. Please contact your card-issuing bank for more information about the specific charge decline.

If you’re still experiencing issues after checking with your bank, you can contact support by:

1. Please visit Contact Support and click the ‘Chat with Upwork' button.
  2. Type a question or topic and select ‘Send’. The bot will find relevant Help articles for you.
  3. The chatbot will ask you to confirm if you need additional help. If you confirm that you need additional help, you will be asked to confirm the account type you need help with.
  4. From there, the support options available to you will be listed. Select either of the options to be able to contact the Upwork Support Team.
~ Joanne
Upwork

View solution in original post

1,127 REPLIES 1,127

Hi Alice,

Thank you for reaching out to us. One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your tickets on this page.

~ Nikola
Upwork
c2ba35df
Community Member

Hi nikolas ;

Please can you help me , i can fix the problem and i can't pay my freelancers .

i posted in community platform my problem. 

This is the link : 

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Clients/Charge-Failed-Billing-problem/m-p/1243582#M90333

Thank you ! 

Best regards !

This is happening with me too..idk why but my ViSA has enough limit to cover 50 dollars..but still charge failed and "invalid billing method" at top. Please help. Have to pay some freelancer.

The automated help system on this platform is just pathetic...guys please help me out..have to pay a freelancer. And idk how or from where to reach you.

Hi Jaguar,

Thank you for your message. Could you please contact your card issuing bank to check if the international transactions are enabled on your card? 

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork

Yes they are enabled...I use it for many overseas payment..plus I paid on upwork too recently..twice..

Hi Jaguar,

Thank you for responding. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

~ AJ
Upwork

Charge failed - Somehow sometimes I can't make payment. Can you please review my account. Thanks

Hi Britney,

Thank you for reaching out to us. In general, this happens when the transactions you’re attempting on your card keep being declined by the bank. Please contact your card-issuing bank for more information about the specific charge decline.

If you’re still experiencing issues after checking with your bank, a quick way to contact our support team is by clicking the "Get Support" button that is shown on this page. You may be asked what type of account you need help with, please select the best option for your situation. If you don't receive the information you're looking for, you can select "Get Support" for more options, including contacting our support team.

~ AJ
Upwork

I have also the same problem just happen today in the afternoon can someone help me. I have ajusted the limits of my cards today but it still shows me charge failed

Hi Salim,

In general, this happens when the transactions you’re attempting on your card keep being declined by the bank. Please contact your card-issuing bank for more information about the specific charge decline. If the issue persists after checking with your bank, you may reach out to us again so we can assist you further.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
53c3f367
Community Member

Hey luigi I have talked to my bank yesterday and I still can't pay my freelancers. What should I do?

Hi Salim,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

~ AJ
Upwork

I'm having the same issue, I attempt to hire a person and reserve a payment from my primary billing method. Keep getting the 'charge failed' error. Please assist. 

I have the same problem how can I fix please ?

~Andrea
Upwork

I have the same problem. I want to hire people, but it keeps showing "Charge failed". Two different credit card have same problem. 

Try with another one.

Also have same problem.

Hi Hugh,

I checked, and it looks like the transaction declined. It would be best that you reach out to your card-issuing bank so that they can check on the specific decline error. 

~ Joanne
Upwork

I have tried using 2 active billing methods, one visa and one mastercard, with enough limit and funds to start a contract with a freelancer. International transactions are enabled on both. Still Upwork says Charge Failed. I dont know how to rectify this issue so I can proceed with my contract. 

Hi Faiza,

Thank you for reaching out. In general, this happens when the transactions you’re attempting on your card keep being declined by the bank. Could you please contact your card-issuing bank for more information about the specific charge decline?

~ AJ
Upwork

Hi Annie, I am also getting the "charge failed" error. I have phoned the issuing bank and there is no problem with the credit card. They told me that it must be from Upwork's side. I need to pay the hired freelancers and our projects have now grinded to a halt which means missed deadlines and compounding costs.

Hi Nicolaas,

Thank you for reaching out. I checked your account and it looks like your payments already went through. Please let us know if you need further assistance.

~ AJ
Upwork

Hello!
I have the same "charge failed" error. One payment was successful and the money was taken. With the other one, I have this issue.
I also have a question - if it is possible to hire two freelancers at the same time?

I really appreciate any help you can provide. Have a nice day!

I am also facing the same problem with my client account. It just shows charge failed.

Hi Mr Z,

I checked your account and it looks like the transaction has been declined by your card-issuing bank. You may contact your card-issuing bank for more information about the specific charge decline. You may also consider using a different Billing Method.

If you’re still experiencing issues after checking with your bank, a quick way to contact our support team is by clicking the "Get Support" button that is shown on this page. You may be asked what type of account you need help with, please select the best option for your situation. If you don't receive the information you're looking for, you can select "Get Support" for more options, including contacting our support team.

~ Arjay
Upwork

I need help with my billing method. I have an active card with sufficient balance to pay for my transactions but it always says "Charge Failed". I was supposed to hire someone. How can I fix this? i have try my more then 10 cc my friend and family etc this issue so far before one month please solve it asap because when asked the clint upwork agent canvert ticket payment depart and payment depart cant slve it all the time said bank issue bank said upwork issue i pay also this all cc via fiverr another plateforms etc and then after that our account gets suspend it has a bad effect on upwork  and clints is looking for another plateforms please the ceo of upwork should be seen this issue becasue upwork team makes a joke please solve it asap thanks not only me but also alot of other clint said have same complaints

If you're having trouble with your billing method and are receiving a "Charge Failed" error message, there are a few things you can try to resolve the issue:

1. Check your card details: Make sure that the card details you have entered are correct, including the card number, expiration date, and security code. Sometimes, even small errors can prevent a charge from going through.

2. Verify that your card is active and has sufficient funds: Check with your bank or credit card issuer to ensure that your card is active and has enough funds to cover the transaction. Some banks may also have transaction limits or restrictions in place that can prevent charges from going through.

3. Try a different payment method: If you're still having trouble with your current card, try using a different payment method, such as a different credit or debit card, PayPal, or a bank transfer.

4. Contact customer support: If none of the above solutions work, contact the customer support team of the platform or website you are using to make the payment. They may be able to provide more information about the issue and help you resolve it.

In the meantime, it's important to communicate with the freelancer you were trying to hire and let them know about the issue. They may be able to work with you to find a solution or adjust the payment terms until the issue is resolved.

If you are experiencing issues with your billing method and your card shows a "Charge Failed" message despite having sufficient balance, there are several steps you can take to resolve the problem:

1. Verify card details: Double-check the card information you have entered, including the card number, expiration date, and security code. Ensure that all details are accurate and up to date.

2. Contact your bank: Reach out to your bank or financial institution to inquire if there are any issues with your card. It's possible that they may have placed a hold on your card or flagged the transaction as suspicious. They can provide insights into any potential problems and assist you in resolving them.

3. Update payment settings: If you are using an online platform or service for hiring, check your account settings to ensure your payment method is correctly configured. Update your card information if necessary or try adding an alternative payment method to see if the issue persists.

4. Clear cache and cookies: In some cases, clearing your browser's cache and cookies can resolve billing issues. This step helps eliminate any temporary data conflicts that may be causing the problem. After clearing the cache, try making the payment again.

5. Try a different payment method: If possible, consider using an alternative payment method, such as a different credit or debit card, PayPal, or a bank transfer. This will help determine if the issue lies with your specific card or if it is a broader problem.

6. Contact customer support: Reach out to the customer support team of the platform or service you are trying to make the payment through. Explain the situation and provide them with any relevant error messages or details. They should be able to assist you further and provide specific guidance to resolve the issue.

Remember, each platform or service may have its own unique troubleshooting steps, so it's important to follow their instructions and seek assistance from their customer support if the problem persists.

this is same issue, whenever I am trying to checkout it says Charged failed, I have sufficient balance as well, Money get deduct from account and it refunds within 5 mins and the process of checkout don't complete as well, Please solve the issue, i even tried different payment method same problem. please solve

Thank you 

Hi Yash,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Generally, this happens when the bank keeps declining transactions you’re attempting on your card. Please get in touch with your card-issuing bank for more information about the specific charge decline. In the meantime, please use an alternative billing method to be able to fund your projects on Upwork.

~ Arjay
Upwork
JoanneP

Hi Hassan

In general, this happens when the transactions you’re attempting on your card keep being declined by the bank. Please contact your card-issuing bank for more information about the specific charge decline.

If you’re still experiencing issues after checking with your bank, you can contact support by:

1. Please visit Contact Support and click the ‘Chat with Upwork' button.
  2. Type a question or topic and select ‘Send’. The bot will find relevant Help articles for you.
  3. The chatbot will ask you to confirm if you need additional help. If you confirm that you need additional help, you will be asked to confirm the account type you need help with.
  4. From there, the support options available to you will be listed. Select either of the options to be able to contact the Upwork Support Team.
~ Joanne
Upwork
403251ba
Community Member

I think now the get support thing is a bot

It doesn't help at all, each time it provides articles which are not even related to what help I need, hope you understand

Thanks in advance

They are all bot bro. They just know to blame banks. They can't even understand why these many members coming back with same issues. 

9e2bd34b
Community Member

I'm having the same issue please help me. I need to buy upwork connects

Hi Shozab,

Thank you for your message. I am sorry to hear about the issue while purchasing Connects. Please contact your card issuing bank to the international transaction limits. You can also try again using a different payment method. 

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork

I used 6 cards same issue are all the banks having issue ? 

LoL. I wanna ask the same question. 

Hi Pradeep, I'm having a similar issue while trying to add my credit card under the billing & and payment section from settings. Every time I try to add my card it charges me 10 cents and also sends me confirmation that my card has been added but it's not. This is very frustrating. I also tried the bot things several times and it keeps repeating the same thing which is to contact with my credit card provided. I did contact them and also cross-checked everything. All are updated from their end. It seems the issues are occurring from the Upwork end not from my bank. All my given information was right as required but still, it declined to add my card and kept charging every time. 

PS. I have attached a screenshot for your convenience. My question if the card information is not right then why charging me for it? 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths