🐈
» Forums » Support » Re: Charge failed from my debit card
Page options
hassanwaqar71
Community Member

Unable to add/use payment method

Hi, Upwork can't accept my credit card for some reason, it keeps on declining it.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
JoanneP

Hi Hassan

In general, this happens when the transactions you’re attempting on your card keep being declined by the bank. Please contact your card-issuing bank for more information about the specific charge decline.

If you’re still experiencing issues after checking with your bank, you can contact support by:

1. Please visit Contact Support and click the ‘Chat with Upwork' button.
  2. Type a question or topic and select ‘Send’. The bot will find relevant Help articles for you.
  3. The chatbot will ask you to confirm if you need additional help. If you confirm that you need additional help, you will be asked to confirm the account type you need help with.
  4. From there, the support options available to you will be listed. Select either of the options to be able to contact the Upwork Support Team.
~ Joanne
Upwork

View solution in original post

1,129 REPLIES 1,129

i have same this problem "Charge failed"

Hi Aref,

Someone from our team will reach out to you via support ticket in order to assist you further.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork
8446f54c
Community Member

Hi there,

I am having the same issue with my debit card not being authorized and my charge failing as i go to hire my freelancer. please help.

thankyou

Ani

Hi Ani,

It looks like the bank has declined the transaction. I would suggest checking with your bank for more information on that.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Hi Aleksander,

I spoke to my bank and apparently upwork was trying to charge me $856 for a $600 project and the balance wasnt in the account. Can i please be told why i am being charged significantly more than needed?

Thanks 

Ani

Hi Ani,

Please remember that prices on Upwork are always in U.S. Dollars (USD). Only the billing to your card will be converted to your local currency which is exactly what happened. So, the amount is showing higher as it's in your local currency. To change your preferred currency and to learn more about it, you can check this help article.

You may also want to know that clients are charged a 3% payment processing and administration fee on all payments. For more information, you can refer to this article.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Im having the same issue. I'm trying to hire a freelancer, but my payment is not being accepted.

Hi Justin,

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing this issue. We'll have one of our agents reach out to you via a support ticket to further assist you.

Thank you.

~ Luiggi
Upwork

I'm having the same issue from my debit card, please I need to pay him by end of day today. Can someone please help??!

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Hi Aleem,

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing this issue. We'll have one of our agents reach out to you via a support ticket to further assist you.

Thank you.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
82bd43b4
Community Member

I am unable to upgrade my membership, I am using paypal. Any help ?

Hi Anandesh,

I'm sorry to hear you have been unable to upgrade your membership. We'll have one of our agents reach out to you via a support ticket to further assist you.

Thank you.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
24c46d02
Community Member

I'm having the same issue -- it says my account is being reviewed for 2 days? I've had my payment included in my account for a month, not sure why it's doing this now.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Ian, 

This is part of our ongoing effort to keep the Upwork marketplace a secure place for freelancers and clients. Periodic checks ensure their accounts continue to reflect accurate information. Our goal is to make this process as seamless as we can, but I'm sorry if this has caused any inconvenience on your end. 

I can confirm that this has already been resolved, and the review is complete. If you need further help with anything, please don't hesitate to reach out here, and our team will assist you further. 

~ Avery
Upwork

Hi team UpWork,

My billing method says "Charge failed".  And one of my hires messaged me "This client's account is on a temporary hold. Once the issue is resolved, you can accept their offer." Can you help? What should I do?

Hi Tuyen,

One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and will assist you further with your account. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hi, I have same issue

Hi Katrina,

I checked and it looks like the transaction has been declined. You may want to reach out to your card issuing bank so that they can check on the specific decline error. In the meantime, you may add a different payment method instead. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
50673bc5
Community Member

Can I use my paypal  in payment? 

Hi Katrina,

Yes, you can even use Paypal as your payment or billing method.

Thank you

Pradeep

Upwork

How can I use paypal? In the option in billing has no paypal. 

Hi Katrina,

Apologies for the confusion. I checked and it looks like Paypal is not available as a billing method in your country. You can check this link for available payment methods on your Upwork account.

Thank you

Pradeep

Upwork

Seems like the issue is still happening ? 
both methods had been charge failing , I've contacted the bank still having the same issue  ? 
how to solve this ? 

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

~ AJ
Upwork
94ec841c
Community Member

I need help with my billing method. I have an active card with sufficient balance to pay for my transactions but it always says "Charge Failed". I was supposed to hire someone. How can I fix this?

Hello Angeline,

Thank you for contacting us. I see that your transaction was declined due to the limit on your card. Please contact your bank or try again using another card.

Thank you.

Pradeep.

Upwork

I already increased the limit of my bank account but still doesn't work. 

Hi Angeline,

I checked your account and I can see that you have withdrawn your funds 2 days ago. Please keep in mind that It can take up to four business days to arrive at your bank. If you have not received the funds after 8 business days let us know, and our team will initiate a trace on your transaction. Thank you!

~ Goran
Upwork

Hi Goran,

I actually have two concerns, but yeah I can see that Upwork just processed my withdrawal as of this moment. My other concern that hasn't been resolved yet is that I cant use my card to hire a freelancer on my client account. It keeps saying Charged Failed. 

I have the same problem at the moment...

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Bojana,

We’ll have one of our agents reach out to you via a support ticket to assist you with your concern. 

Thank you for reaching out to us. 

~ Bojan
Upwork

Hello I have the same problem about the billing method they tell me charge failed

Hi Salim,

Thank you for reaching out to us. It looks like the charge on your credit card keeps getting declined. Please make sure your card is set up to make international payments and has sufficient funds on it to complete the funding.

Please contact your card-issuing bank to confirm if they allow recurring transactions on your debit cards as Upwork payments are classified as ‘recurring’.

~ Nikola
Upwork

Hey Goran,

I'm having this problema with my clients, all their cards get rejected. 

Hi, 

Im having the same issue. It says Charge Failed. I tried two different methods, Mastercard and Paypal.I have sufficient funds in my Mastercard and Paypal.

Hi Jing,

Thank you for reaching out to us. One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your tickets on this page.

~ Nikola
Upwork

I also have the same problem.

Hi Carmen,

I am sorry to hear about the trouble using your billing methods. I can see that you've raised a support ticket regarding your concern and one of our team members is already assisting you. You can access your support tickets here. Please don't hesitate to follow up with them on the same support ticket if you have additional questions regarding your concern. Note that support requests are responded to in the order they are received. Kindly allow 24-48 hours for the team to follow up with you and assist you further.

Thank you,
Pradeep

Upwork

I have the same problem! With 2 different cards

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths