cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charging me to make a payment? Are you kidding?

Highlighted
William H Member Since: May 3, 2016
1 of 118

I just recieved notice that Upwork wants more money. So I just need to make sure I understand this correctly... upWorks wants to charge me to make a payment?

At the same time, I read that upWork is also increasing the fees to freelancers.

You do know switching away from upWork is a breeze, right?

Did I read this notification correctly?

Steven G Member Since: Jan 17, 2016
2 of 118

Yeah, they just upped their 10% fee to 20% on all projects less than $500. So for people who do small jobs here and there to bring in extra cash, you're basically getting destroyed (best language I could use that I hopefully won't get flagged for) by their fees.

Taking $10 out of $100 was bad enough, but now you want $20? And you also hold my money for 5+ days or so according to your payment schedule?

Sigh... after I just started trying to build my profile, too.

3 of 118

To add to this, here's the email they sent out:

Dave K Member Since: Jun 14, 2016
4 of 118

Not only that, but look how they charge a $12,000 project (yes, 12K!):

What would my net earnings be for a $12,000 project with a new client?

You’ll receive net earnings of $10,850:

20% service fee on $500 = earnings of $400
10% service fee on $9,500 = earnings of $8,550
5% service fee on $2,000 = earnings of $1,900

They won't even honor 5% across the entire 12K. Un-freaking-real.

What really bothers me about Upwork is they charge 20% on small jobs because it costs THEM too much… yet they do NOTHING to discourage cheap a$$ clients from posting $5 logo projects. This site is no better than fiverr or some of those logo "contest" sites.

Sean M Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
5 of 118

It's unreal... Charge more money for people to find workers and pay them, then effectively DOUBLE the % they take from the workers themselves. 

I am a Top Rated contractor and have only a handful of repeat business, in my field most Clients using Upwork only need one project completed. So regardless of it going to 10% over 500, they're still doubling it on the first 500 and then going back to the already too high 10% after that. I highly doubt many people have over 10k billing with one client.

Total ripoff.

6 of 118

Hey, it's so they can "better support us".

LOL

I don't think charging us double is ever going to help that. Robot Indifferent

Erin M Member Since: May 3, 2016
7 of 118

Wow. This is insane. I just saw the ridiculous email from Upwork announcing their change in payment structure. Not only am I not willing to pay to make a payment, I can completely understand if the freelancers I work with don't want to continue on Upwork. 

Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
8 of 118

@Erin M wrote:

Wow. This is insane. I just saw the ridiculous email from Upwork announcing their change in payment structure. Not only am I not willing to pay to make a payment, I can completely understand if the freelancers I work with don't want to continue on Upwork. 

The thing is if they have been your freelancer for less than 2 years you will be suspended for asking them to work off the platform not to mention they may be tempted to and comply and will lose their account too.  I wouldn't put my freelancer in that spot.   

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
Erin M Member Since: May 3, 2016
9 of 118

I know, that's exactly why I'm worried about losing my whole team and having to take the time to rebuild it on a different platform. :-(

Pamela G Member Since: May 3, 2016
10 of 118

I was fine paying my contract in weekly installments, but now that you'll charge 2.75% every time you process a payment, I'd rather pay monthly, or at the end of a contract. Are you offering options like this?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS