cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charging me to make a payment? Are you kidding?

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
11 of 118

Hi Pamela,

You could use the fixed-price model to make payments monthly instead of weekly. However, the amount you would pay in fees will be the same whether you'd pay 2.75% on a bigger amount or break it up and pay 2.75% on each part.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Ma. Victoria D Member Since: Dec 12, 2014
12 of 118

Even if the Clients will pay on a monthly basis, it will still be the same charge from the full amount of a monthly pay. So paying monthly will only defeat the purpose. Weekly payment will just be subdivided charge from the monthly charge!

SAMPLE:

$100 per week + $2.75 x 4 weeks =  $411

$400 monthly x 2.75% = $411

So, paying monthly will just prolonging the agony and the Freelancer will get a hold of her/his dear salary longer waiting time.

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
13 of 118

Hi Ma. Victoria, 

I would just like to clarify that the 2.75% is a payment processing fee which will be charged to the client everytime Upwork processes a client's payment to his/her freelancer. 

The monthly payment processing fee option (which is $25/month) is only available for US clients with a minimum history of on-time payments on Upwork. This monthly payment will not affect the waiting period for a client's payment to reflect in a freelancer's account. 

You may read more about the client's processing fees in this thread here

-Avery
Untitled
Mohamed M Member Since: Mar 28, 2016
14 of 118

and this is the only post you reply?!

do you have any word to those who are complaining about you high fees?

elance platform was way better Smiley Sad

Eric F Member Since: Jun 8, 2016
15 of 118

The percentage fee doesn't relate to how often a payment is made. Whether hourly or yearly, it's still the same percentage.

Robert R Member Since: Sep 2, 2012
16 of 118

It is charge for ALL money -- regardlewss whether you make one or more payments!

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
17 of 118

@Katrina B wrote:

@Erin M wrote:

Wow. This is insane. I just saw the ridiculous email from Upwork announcing their change in payment structure. Not only am I not willing to pay to make a payment, I can completely understand if the freelancers I work with don't want to continue on Upwork. 

The thing is if they have been your freelancer for less than 2 years you will be suspended for asking them to work off the platform not to mention they may be tempted to and comply and will lose their account too.  I wouldn't put my freelancer in that spot.   

There's more on the line than suspension. Everyone agreed to the two year commitment or buyout--circumventing that is a breach of contract that could result in monetary damages. 

Erin M Member Since: May 3, 2016
18 of 118

It will be difficult but not impossible for clients to replace their freelancers with new ones on a different platform. I feel bad for the freelancers who have to start over completely somewhere else. :-(

Community Guru
Joachim M Member Since: Mar 23, 2015
19 of 118

@Erin M wrote:

It will be difficult but not impossible for clients to replace their freelancers with new ones on a different platform. I feel bad for the freelancers who have to start over completely somewhere else. :-(

Erin,

Most freelancers work on more than one platform. 

Timothy W Member Since: May 4, 2016
20 of 118

This represents a 100% fee increase for almost all of the jobs that I do.

I wonder if these <500% fisrt time jobs represent most of Upworks business.  I bet it does.

Does anyone know that?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS