cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charging me to make a payment? Are you kidding?

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
41 of 118

@Steve V wrote:

Instead of saying a specious statement like "a growing number" why don't ytou actually give us the percentage? I bet it is less than 5 percent of all jobs. I will no longer post new jobs for freelancers on Upwork.

Over a third of Upwork's revenue comes from those $ 10k + relationships (source: CEO statement at Townhall Meeting)

96% of my lifetime earnings on Upwork comes from $ 10k + client relationships. (though mainly from Enterprise clients so the fee would be the same it is now (10%) as Enterprise clients are excluded from the fee changes altogether. (no 5% benefit, no 20% low value fee) 

David G Member Since: May 3, 2016
42 of 118

We hire on Upwork and spend lots of money every month, but I feel broadsided by this new 2.75% fee we're being forced to pay. Since we spend a lot, this is a sizeable amount. First you force us to move to this platform from Elance, and we rely on the service for our business. We'll be reassessing our use of Upwork.

Andre B Member Since: May 3, 2016
43 of 118

lol.PNG

Must be getting pretty bad if they turned off the "Close your account" feature. 

Thomas A Member Since: May 3, 2016
44 of 118

'Close your account feature turned off'. That is amazing. It's kind of like they knew we would all be leaving. So they locked the door.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
45 of 118

Hi Thomas,

Users can close their Upwork accounts anytime from their Settings. They just need to make sure they don't have open jobs or active proposals. If they need help, they can reach out to customer support for additional assistance. We hope users avoid making an immediate decision like closing accounts until this new pricing takes effect as we believe it will support the community long-term. 

~ Valeria
Untitled
Wayne P Member Since: May 3, 2016
46 of 118

Elance and oDesk were passably good services, but obviously not viable as they got absorbed into Upwork, but Upwork has never really worked well (I just migrated because I had to from the other services).  Upwork has a terrible interface, terrible messaging system and task management, poor rating, poor testing and mediation systems, lots of crashes lately and NOW they want to charge a 2.75% fee to Clients and up the small job fees for Freelancers trying to make a start-up??  (Not to mention that the world currencies are suffering under the US$.) Enough is enough. I'm ending contracts in progress and moving my hiring process elsewhere.

I think Upwork is also on it's last legs, why else such a drastic move with so little warning. "subsidizing payment processing" my ass.  It's a sinking ship.  I'm outta here with the other rats, and will take my meagre business elsewhere.  ;-)

Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
47 of 118

@Wayne P wrote:

Elance and oDesk were passably good services, but obviously not viable as they got absorbed into Upwork, but Upwork has never really worked well (I just migrated because I had to from the other services).  Upwork has a terrible interface, terrible messaging system and task management, poor rating, poor testing and mediation systems, lots of crashes lately and NOW they want to charge a 2.75% fee to Clients and up the small job fees for Freelancers trying to make a start-up??  (Not to mention that the world currencies are suffering under the US$.) Enough is enough. I'm ending contracts in progress and moving my hiring process elsewhere.

I think Upwork is also on it's last legs, why else such a drastic move with so little warning. "subsidizing payment processing" my ass.  It's a sinking ship.  I'm outta here with the other rats, and will take my meagre business elsewhere.  ;-)

Actually we had warning that this was coming back in June of last year. They sent a survey out asking if we would pay x amount. Each person got a different survey

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Survey-18-fee-Help-us-make-Upwork-Better/m-p/89655/highl...

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Member-Discussions/New-Upwork-Fees-18/m-p/89700/highlight/true#M908

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
48 of 118

@Suzanne N wrote:

@Wayne P wrote:

Actually we had warning that this was coming back in June of last year. They sent a survey out asking if we would pay x amount. Each person got a different survey

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Survey-18-fee-Help-us-make-Upwork-Better/m-p/89655/highl...

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Member-Discussions/New-Upwork-Fees-18/m-p/89700/highlight/true#M908

Suzanne we all got different emails depending on our earning level. I was asked if I would be prepared to pay 12%. I can't remember if I answered it or not. Anyway the 12% duly arrived (the +2% only applies to a few people who have to pay VAT).

Tim R Member Since: May 3, 2016
49 of 118

I got the email too. It is outrageous.

If they are paying 2.75% in fees for payment processing, then they really need to find better payment processors. But of course they aren't paying anywhere near that. Some airlines do this, notably AirAsia - who recently wanted to charge me a ridiculous fee for using a credit card. Sometimes we have to suck it up if it's a cheap flight and there is no alternative. But with outsourcing we do have alternatives.

Although I'm more pissed off at the hike to providers. 20% is insane.  

I was migrated over from Elance, which I liked. I have only just started using UpWork but I won't be sticking around.

I suggest UpWork think again about this. The fees for both clients and providers are unfair and downright greedy. 

Vaclav S Member Since: May 4, 2016
50 of 118

Posting this to draw some attention to it: the new 2.75% fee on all payments is even worse, because it is non-refundable. Support told me so when I asked:

Q: "If you refund a payment (due to cancelled contract), do you refund the 2.75% fee as well?"

A: "I have verified that information for you and unfortunately the 2.75% processing fee will not be refunded."

In other words, if a freelancer doesn't deliver and the contract is cancelled, you're still on the hook for 2.75% even though Upwork failed as a platform for you...

Thanks, but no thanks.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS