cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charging me to make a payment? Are you kidding?

Lance L Member Since: May 30, 2016
81 of 118

I see what's happened. Now that the competitors have been purchased, it's time to push up the prices and act like the monopoly that Upwork has become. 

I guess it's time for someone to create a new upstart competitor then! Smiley Happy 

Lance L Member Since: May 30, 2016
82 of 118

I do like this community forum though and the people that respond with helpful comments. I think that's a really nice feature of Upwork. 

Richard O Member Since: May 30, 2016
83 of 118

And on top of this you can't seem to get any support from them. It now just goes to a blank page. I think we will completely move away from Upwork and back to People Per Hour and others.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
84 of 118

Hi Richard,

Are you able to submit ticket using this link? Alternatively, you can search the Community for an answer to your question or post it here.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Matthias J Member Since: Jun 1, 2016
85 of 118

We think there should be a flat rate for transaction fees for everyone.  

There is a flat rate for certain countries.

Our country is not "qualified" or "on the list" for a flatrate of the upcoming transaction fee.

Actually we are paying in USD anyways.  So what is the reason?

Scott G Member Since: Jun 7, 2016
86 of 118

Maybe you guys should fix all the bugs on your site before you decide to hit people with more fees. This site has never been the same since the good old odesk days.......................

Community Leader
Karen T Member Since: Jul 14, 2015
87 of 118

It's very interesting to see how clients are reacting to the new fee scale and I agree that many are getting 'creative' when it comes to contacting freelancers outside of the site.

And, before anyone jumps in yelling about exclusivity clauses, I mean clients who have not yet been introduced to freelancers.

I actually turned down a project the other day on the basis that the fees made it unviable as to what I'd receive as a bottom line payment. The client was not happy. It was a very small job which even under normal circumstances I would only have done if I had nothing else on and I hadn't applied. The client had actually funded the job up so was pretty certain I would accept. When I explained to him exactly how much I'd come out with after fees (including transfers and currency exchanges) I made the point that I would be working for much less than minimum wage, and, no, thank you, I don't want to do that (Hey, I can pick olives and get more money!)

He tried every which way to get me to agree, including reducing the word count. I still declined.

He ended up saying he would do the job himself.

So, Upwork lost a client. I didn't, because it wasn't worth my time.

Again, before anybody leaps in and tells me what I should have done, I will repeat - Upwork lost a client - and it bothers me, not a jot.

So all I can see happening is that clients are going to get frustrated with freelancers who up their fees, and this has to happen on the small jobs. Clients are frustrated with having to pay an additional 2.75%. Clients are tracking down freelancers off-site without prior contact. Clients will remove freelancers after the 2 year exclusivity is over.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
88 of 118

@Karen T wrote:

He tried every which way to get me to agree, including reducing the word count. I still declined.

Upwork lost a client - and it bothers me, not a jot.

What does a cheapskate client getting a job offer declined have to do with a fee increase that hasn't even happened yet?

I turned down editing a nearly 600 page book for $ 200 yesterday. If Upwork loses that client, it bothers me not one jot either. And you know what? I bet it doesn't bother Upwork one jot either.

Freelancers turn down jobs every day. So what? 

Community Leader
Karen T Member Since: Jul 14, 2015
89 of 118

I love to hear these spokepersons for Upwork say that Upwork don't care if they lose clients.

Clients may like to take note.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
90 of 118

Karen T wrote:

I love to hear these spokepersons for Upwork say that Upwork don't care if they lose clients.

Clients may like to take note.

Don't be ridiculous. I am not "these spokespersons for Upwork"

You made a moot point.

You turned down a job that didn't pay your rate.

I turned down a job that didn't pay my rate.

Freelancers are free to turn down work if it does not pay enough, does not interest them, or when they are too busy or for any reason they like.

Thousands of freelancers turn down thousands of jobs every day.

What does that have to do with anything, let alone a price increase that has not even happened yet?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS