🐈
» Forums » Clients » Chinese man asking me to use my upwork accoun...
Page options
sofirodrig
Community Member

Chinese man asking me to use my upwork account

Hi, there is a chinese man that's is asking me if I can share my upwork account because 'american freelancers are most demanded by clients' but it seems weird to me. Here is a screenshot

**Edited for community guidelines**

12 REPLIES 12
prestonhunter
Community Member

What do you think you should do?

I blocked him but he continue creating skype accounts and sending me messages! Today:

Sofia:

Don't feed trolls.

This person may be getting a thrill out of bothering you.

Don't reply. Don't engage.

If he sends you a message, ignore it.

Upwork doesn't control Skype or LinkedIn or other sites. I suggest you don't even contact Upwork about this loser. You already reported him once. Nothing else they can do.

Use the delete button and forget about it.

a_lipsey
Community Member

Sofia R wrote:
Hi, there is a chinese man that's is asking me if I can share my upwork account because 'american freelancers are most demanded by clients' but it seems weird to me. Here is a screenshot

Why does it seem weird to you? 

Seemed weird to me that he asked me to share my account. I blocked him again and again and he creates new accounts. This happenned today:

Sofia, 

Actually, I think this is quite serious and very creepy. Does this guy keep on opening new accounts on Upwork? 

Also if he is bothering you on Skype, try uninstalling it for a while and use another service like WhatsApp. 

re: "Actually, I think this is quite serious and very creepy."

I read the transcript before it was deleted.

This "Chinese freelancer" (which may or may not be true) is not someone who is simply desperate for money. He is indeed being creepy. He is intentionally harassing and threatening this woman.

Preston H wrote:

re: "Actually, I think this is quite serious and very creepy."

I read the transcript before it was deleted.

This "Chinese freelancer" (which may or may not be true) is not someone who is simply desperate for money. He is indeed being creepy. He is intentionally harassing and threatening this woman.

I wonder if he is still opening accounts on Upwork? If he is, there must be some way of zapping him forever.  

I didn't see the transcript, so I assume Sofia is also being bothered by him on LinkedIn. I hope she has reported this person to them. 

A message to Upwork: I think sometimes it would be useful to not (immediately) zap quoted content. For one thing, it can help other freelancers to recognize danger signals and for another, it would prevent the sort of smartass reply such as mine in an earlier post.  

As far as I can tell from the transcript that was posted and the notes from this freelancer... she is dealing with a "Chinese freelancer" who is not using the Upwork site to contact her. If this would-be scammer is only using Skype and LinkedIn to contact her, I don't know that there is anything Upwork can actually do.

Upwork has no control over other sites and tools, such as Skype. And even if they did, we are talking about a person who is creating new fake accounts in order to contact someone on tools where he was already blocked him.

The scammer claimed to be able to negatively impact her Upwork account if she didn't comply withhis requst to let him use her Upwork account. This is an empty threat.

If it makes the freelancer feel any better... I would point out that this person (as inappropriate as their behavior is) probably lives on an entirely different continent, and does not actually have any power to do anything to their Upwork account.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Sofia,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Could you please click on my name and send me a PM with more information about your report. I'll check that and escalate accordingly.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork

I  want Wendy's head hits wall. 

bizwriterjohn
Community Member

Although this violates Upwork's terms of service.  This contact, as you did, should be blocked.  I recommend he also be reported directly to contractor support because this is a major infraction.

That said, what would motivate this contractor to break the rules so severely?  Now consider his life.  This freelancer knows he is screened from some majority, if not perhaps almost all U.S.-only posted jobs.  He believes he is qualified.  He knows he can deliver excellent work.  He has himself to feed, perhaps his family to feed. Yet by sheer location of residence, his capability to do so is vastly limited over ours.

Agency membership will not help.  As an international, even Agency feed-through would be blocked.  The best he could do is subcontract through a Upwork contract established by a U.S. resource that physically hires him as a subcontractor.

He has broken the rules.  The block was correct, reporting major infractions is probably a good idea.  "Rules are rules" and they exist for a reason.

I think a moment or two for empathy.  Perhaps a quiet tear a fellow contractor might be driven to points of desparation.  A joyous, humble thank you, that most work is not posted in China and we are blocked from even seeing it.

Is the balanced response to doing what must be doing.

For the record, I hire only internationally.  To date, Bucharest, Kyev, Lagos, three cities in India, and Argentina.  I mentor only internationally. That is not to be intentionally discriminatory. That is to help individuals who are fellow freelancers and who work at a massive disadvantage to us.

Following the rules.  Compassion, and humble thanks is my response to this situation.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths