cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Christmas bonus

Starlet S Member Since: Jan 26, 2015
1 of 16

Hello,

Been working with a freelancer for a while and was thinking of giving him a christmas bonus.

How much do you usually give when you give bonuses? Is there a formula like a % of what you pay or what?

Thanks! Woman Happy

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 16

@Starlet S wrote:

Hello,

Been working with a freelancer for a while and was thinking of giving him a christmas bonus.

How much do you usually give when you give bonuses? Is there a formula like a % of what you pay or what?

Thanks! Woman Happy

That's so nice Smiley Happy

I think the gesture counts far more than the actual amount, and just give your freelancer a sum that reflects your appreciation, that will make them happy and not eat into your christmas funds too much.

I regularly get bonuses, and honestly, the sum is so much less important than the fact the client felt inclined to give it at all.

Smiley Happy

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
3 of 16

What a nice client you are! I don't think there are any rules and regs about bonuses, but bear in mind that your freelancer has to pay 5% or 10% or 20% of the amount to Upwork, depending on how  much he/shehas earned while working for you. But the amount of your bonus is entirely up to you. 

If I were to get a Christmas present like this, I would be immensely pleased that my client had liked my work enough to do so - the amount, in a way, would be secondary to the sentiment behind it. 

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 16

Every single dollar of a bonus you give to a freelancer results in her receiving more money than she otherwise would have had.

If a client gives me a $50 bonus, I'm thrilled. Was not expecting it. Doesn't bother me if my client didn't do math to calculate how much more to give me in order to make sure I got exactly $50.00.

Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
5 of 16

You could work it out as a percentage of what you've paid them this year, or just pay a small token of appreciation. It really comes down to you. Like others have said, it's a very nice gesture Smiley Happy

Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
6 of 16

Starlet, the thought it lovely and speaks highly for both you and the freelancer.  

You might want to consider a small gift rather than a cash bonus situation for a few reasons.  First and foremost, a personal gift is just that - a personal expression of your appreciation.  Cash is for work; a personal gift is for thank you. 

I've received flowers, books, scarfs, wine, even a much coveted authentic Real Madrid t-shirt along with other expressions of thank you. I understand that the quandry of what the person might like could be in your mind so even a gift card to a store h/she might frequent is a possibility.

Starlet S Member Since: Jan 26, 2015
7 of 16

Thank you all for your nice feedback.

I was actually thinking around $50, like Preston said, so it seems like a good number then.

A gift or flowers like Wendy suggested would be nice too, but he's in a country far away so I'm keeping it simple Smiley Happy

Thank you again and an early merry xmas to you all Smiley Very Happy

Starlet

Regina D Member Since: Dec 24, 2016
8 of 16

Can anyone advise how to actually pay this in the system.  I can't seem to figure out how to send money without posting a job?  Thanks.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
9 of 16

Hi Regina,

If you want to pay a bonus to a freelancer you've hired before, go to Freelancers> My Freelancers, type their name in the search field or click Past Hires and click on the name of the contract. On the Contract page, you will see the button to "Give Bonus:"

Screenshot_1.png

~ Valeria
Untitled
jill m Member Since: Mar 27, 2017
10 of 16

This isnt working for me...I can find the button to click on contract after I found my freelancer... I do want to give him a bonus. Have your forms changed since this [post? How do I give a bonus?

Thanks Jill

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS