cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clearing the message board

David F Member Since: Mar 27, 2017
1 of 5

Hi.

I have a ton of messages from prospecitve freelancers, old hires, people whom I have interviewed for jobs which I have hired out or cancelled or have been completed one way or another. Even people whom I have outright declined are able to continue messaging me.

I recently posted a couple of job offers, got about 20 hits, messaged about 10 people, declined 9, hired one, and the 9 are still in the left-hand message board, some still messaging me for insight into the job status, though it should be clear it is closed for hiring.

Can someone tell me how to clear this message board? 'Hide' doesn't work...

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
2 of 5

Hi David,

Using the "Hide" option would hide a room, but it will reappear if a new message is posted in the room. If you don't want certain freelancers to be able to message you at all, you can click on their name in the message room and block them.

Hopefully, it'll help.

~ Valeria
Untitled
3 of 5

Thank you for your reply Valeria.

Actually the Hide function does not appear to be working. Not only does it not hide the room sometimes, but even if it is hidden, it reappears in the sidebar list the very next moment whether a new message is posted or not.

I have a sidebar with about 50 people in it under the headings PEOPLE, INTERVIEWS with links to VIEW ALL but no links to clear this list so when I get a new message from somebody relevent, I am forced to scroll.

Further, even though I have closed out hiring or declined people through interviews, they are still able to message me and people do not seem to get the message that the job has been closed.

I find it hard to believe that the only recourse is to one by one click on their names and block them...

Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
4 of 5

If rooms are reappearing after you've hidden them, I'd recommend first clearing your browser cache and/or trying a different browser, as it may be a caching issue.

As for freelancers continuing to message you after you've told them the job is closed, then yes, the only option is to block them. I'm not sure why this is a big deal? What would you want as an option instead?

5 of 5

Hmm, I wonder what I'm not being clear about.

After I have hired my freelancer I am given a notice to either close the job to hiring or keep it open to hiring, to hich I choose to close it. My queary regards why all applicants do not get informed that the job is closed. The messages I get are inquiries as to the status of the job, whether I have made a decision, etc.

Regarding the browser, is there a known issue with CHROME? I do not use IE, but would consider it if Upwork has issues with Chrome. Certainly I have cleared my browser numerous times. Every past freelancer, past interviewee, past declined, but messaged person - everybody - remains in the message sidebar, whether I choose to hide or not, close the job or not, under every circumstance.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS