cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client Account Blocked "For Irregular Activity"

Danielle H Member Since: Apr 11, 2016
11 of 16

@Amy  My thinking wasn't on the same page as your thinking, obviously.  The fee wasn't an issue for me.  Had it worked out she would have continued to work for me, as does any other contractor, and I would have been able to monitor her work.  As a point of clarification, she was with me that day but would not always have been.  There would have been plenty of times that she would have worked from her own home.

@all My question was geniune as was my concern.  It's unfortunate that your reponses choose to attack rather than assist a poster.

Have a great day.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
12 of 16

It is never appropriate to use Upwork to hire somebody from one's own household.

Why? Because Upwork doesn't like this. And it has automated algorithms in place that check for this. And if this is found, there is a high probability that the financial accounts of the people involved will be suspended, or that the people involved will have their Upwork accounts terminated.

It is irrelevent whether or not this is how things "should" be, or whether this is fair. The reasons for these algorithms are irrelevent. The fact is that these algorithms and checks are in place on this website. The potential penalties for the behavior are too severe and too probably to risk doing his.

13 of 16

@Preston

Thank you for your response.  I had no idea this was a thing until today in these responses.  Your time is appreciated.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
14 of 16

Danielle:

Thank you for being understanding about this.

Completely aside from this isolated issue Upwork, the simple fact is that because Upwork is a VERY large website dealing with money and dealing with people from all over the world, there are MANY, MANY rules and policies and algorithms.

Many of these are "common sense." MANY are NOT common sense. There are many things that are perfectly acceptable and normal to do "in real life" which are ABSOLUTELY FORBIDDEN on Upwork.

So, if one isn't conversant with the rules, one CAN get in trouble even while doing what seems perfectly normal.

A simple example is that if you and your sister wanted to buy a present for your aunt, you could send your sister half of the money for the present in the form of a check. Seems innocent, right? But if you send somebody a check that you are working with on Upwork, you could get your account terminated.

Another rule: If you have a website, you can display your email address.

But if you have a profile page on Upwork, you absolutely must NOT display your email address.

So, as these examples demonstrate, the acceptability of the SAME act is REALLY different depending on context - on Upwork or NOT on Upwork.

Sometimes BAD PEOPLE try to leverage this concept and proclaim innocence when they are intentionally trying to break the rules in order to scam people or steal from Upwork. But OFTEN Upwork users are genuinely innocent of any malicious intent... they were simply ignorant of the rules.

And what's even more confusing is that beyond actual rules, there are unwritten "rules," by whch I mean: There are things which are not officially documented, but which are too dangerous to actually do, because Upwork has automated algorithms or human-based responses that can be severely punitive to you if you do certain things.

Unfortunately, neither Upwork, nor its users, nor Community Forum members can know with certainty in all cases whether a person breaking the rules was doing so out of ignorant or out of ill intent. So the end result is that Upwork and Community Forum members tend to be strict about the rules with everybody - with good people as well as bad people. Sometimes this seems unfair. Sometimes the result genuinely IS unfair. But that's simply how things are with a site like this.

Chetan B Member Since: Apr 7, 2016
15 of 16

Hello Danielle,

It seems that your case might have been tracked down when employee and employer are found on same IP. When employer and employee are under a same room but working and paying from UpWork, its normal for questions to be raised.

UpWork is a platform where people who are in need of work to be done post for job requirement, those who are looking for job applys for those job and after communication between both parties, they work based on contract basis.

Looking at your current condition, question you are being asked seems normal and I am sure that they are going to resolve issue once you explain them your current conditions.

16 of 16

@Preston @Chetan

Thank you for your informative and helpful responses.  I am working with Upwork to resolve the issue and can do so more effectively now that I understand what has happened

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS