🐈
» Forums » Clients » Client accounts
Page options
4fa1aab1
Community Member

Client accounts

Do clients now have to be verified in order to hire anyone? I had a freelancer account that I cancelled. I also have a client account. I am not a freelancer anymore. When I try to hire someone, I get a notice that my account is suspended. When I contact customer service, I get back an email saying I have to go through a verification process.  I created this client account so I can perhaps get help here because I can't do anything with my other client account. 

Since when do clients have to go through a verification process. 

I can use this new client account and hire the person I picked to complete my job. but I do not want to get that person in any kind of trouble. 

Meanwhile, the freelancer is waiting, I'm waiting and I need to get this job done asap. 

Help

4 REPLIES 4
AndreaG

Hi Linda,

Could you please click on my picture next to this post and send me a private message with more info about the account you need help with?

~Andrea
Upwork
prestonhunter
Community Member

Clients do not undergo the same verification process that freelancers do.

Essentially anybody can create a client account.

Clients can do "payment verification," which basically means that they provide a credit card number and Upwork checks to see if it can be successfully charged.

Why are clients and freelancers handled differently?

Think about your experience when you went to a store. You walked in and nobody checked your identity. When you left the store, if you wanted to purchase something your credit card was charged. The store made sure your payment was valid. That's about it.

The store employees, however? In order to work there, they had to provide government-issued identity information and undergo a background check.

Preston H wrote:

Clients do not undergo the same verification process that freelancers do.

Point missed in its entirety.

If you bother to actually read the OP's post her client account was suspended and she was asked to verify.

And many clients do have to undergo ID verification when there are things that dont seem to add up.

petra_r
Community Member

Chances are Upwork found the overlap between your closed freelancer account and your client account and spotted some inconsistencies. You are also not allowed to create two (let alone three) accounts anyway.

Linda P wrote:

Meanwhile, the freelancer is waiting, I'm waiting and I need to get this job done asap. 

Well, complete the verification and if it all checks out, you can hire your freelancer.

Linda P wrote:

I can use this new client account and hire the person I picked to complete my job. 

I would strongly suggest that you don't even think about doing that...

Latest Articles
Learning Paths