🐈
» Forums » Clients » Client asks to remove negative feedback
Page options
anna_babicheva
Community Member

Client asks to remove negative feedback

Hi there, 

to be honest, I feel terrible to take this into the forum. However, am seeking advice on what should I do in this situation. 

In July/August I was working with the client on the logo and I usually build my project with a help of milestones. So the first drafts are the first milestone then feedback update is another milestone and final files are sent as a 3rd milestone.

After the first milestone, the client changed their brief a little bit, but this happens, I took it into consideration and worked on the update. The second milestone was also approved. Then nothing seemed right to the client, so I broke my own rules and prepared 3rd proposal and 4th. And he just disappeared. While he was gone, I have checked the website and he was using the screenshot of the logo from my proposal. I wrote a few times, that it's in low quality and I would love to finalise the project, I was ready to even prepare another round of sketches if he wasn't happy with what I have worked on. But he ignored my messages. 

After a while, I closed the contract, returned the amount from the escrow for the final milestone and wrote very truthful feedback, that the client disappeared and was using my work without actually having any rights to do so. As rights are transferred with the source file of the logo (in 3rd milestone). 

Today, November 24, 3 months later he wrote to me, that he is very disappointed in my feedback and that this never happened with any freelancer he worked before. Told, he thinks it's bad that he paid X amount of money and didn't even receive final files and that he used the logos from proposal "just as a trial to see which one looks best" ... for 3 months. Now he took another logo from the proposal and changed it on the website as well. Frustrating, but let him be. Told me, that he doesn't want to get this situation to a dispute to Upwork, but he could have if he would be interested in a negative outcome. Which I think is ridiculous, as I believe Upwork would be on my side. (I want to believe so)

Now he is asking me to remove the feedback, as he would want to end this project on a positive note. And that he had no ill intention to use the files on the website. 

I truly believe, the guy was busy and Covid, and something else could stop him from dropping me a message that he needs a few months to think. But what to do in my situation? I am booked till the end of the year and even if I wanted to get that finished "positively" I simply don't have the emotional capacity to finish this, as I think, it was disrespectful to me, my time and my work. 

Sorry, it is a long read, but I would like to ask, what would you do? Should I remove the feedback and just step back? Or should I make a statement and leave the feedback as there is nothing untruthful there?

Would love to hear some opinions...

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
JoanneP

Hi Anna,

I'm sorry to hear about what happened with your contract. You can decide whether you'd consider updating your feedback and discuss how to better resolve this issue. It is indeed good to end things on a positive note, but sharing your honest feedback is also equally important.  If you prefer to keep your feedback, you may inform the client and politely explain the situation. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
ladyelexia
Community Member

Well, you were paid in full for the work that you did turn in, even though it was not finished. Sometimes clients get busy, but the last milestone was already funded and it is reasonable to assume he would have come back. It can be very frustrating to wait around for someone to get back to you, in this case, I really think that you should have simply sent a message letting him know about your availability and do no further work until got back to you. You closing the contract was your decision to be done with it, stick to that. In the future, have more patience and understand that clients that have already paid for the work that has been delivered (even incomplete) do not always think about the freelancers schedule. 

Thanks, Heather and Joanne. 

I know, that sometimes clients get busy, however, we are all trying to do good business here. Thanks for your opinion, I think I made a decision for myself and really appreciate you taking the time to answer my post. 

All the best!

lysis10
Community Member

Do you really believe he used your unpaid logo to see which one worked better? lmao tell me you don't believe this.

He can't do anything as long a the contract was closed. Dispute time is overrrrr. Tell him to do whatever he wants but the contract was done 3 months ago and you're moving on.

Nah, don't believe that it was to check how it looks like. 

So yeah, will be protecting the proposals with a watermark next time. 

The client is full of hot air. It is WAY too late for a dispute under Upwork's terms of service.

Anna B wrote:

what would you do? Should I remove the feedback and just step back? Or should I make a statement and leave the feedback as there is nothing untruthful there?

You certainly never want to work with the client again. I'd also decline to change the feedback. 

That said, as you were paid for the first two milestones, and the screenshots were the deliverables you were paid for, the client has every right to use the screenshots, so you are mistaken to say that he isn't and if that is in the feedback you may want to remove it.

Upwork's default terms say that when it comes to the rights to work product in case of partial payments, whatever portion is paid for, belong to the client.

Thanks, Petra!
Really appreciate this. 

Yes, definitely not working with this client again. 

Latest Articles
Learning Paths