🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: Client requested me a refund because she ...
Page options
amaliagoyanes
Community Member

Client requested me a refund because she didn't reviewed my hours

Hello, I have a client who hired me to work on a hourly contract.

I started working and it is assumed that the client should review my daily work and have 5 days to dispute the hours or review my work.

Well, the client did not check my work NEVER, and therefore I thought that there was no problem.

I delivered the work done, and now the client appears again and says that she wants a refund for ALL hours done (about 10 hours in total). 

I worked for two weeks and she did NOT REVIEWED MY WORK or the screenshots, and she did not disputed the hours, which has 5 days to do it.

I do not accept to make a refund because it is not my fault that she did not reviewed my work on time, I did not do anything wrong, I delivered the work.

It seems to me a lack of logic that for two weeks she has not reviewed anything, and suddenly she asks me for a refund without giving me an explanation.

Also, she didn't told me nothing about the work done (logo design) No feedback, no comments... 😕

Now she says she's going to talk to meditation team. My question is: ¿what will happen now? ¿Am I obliged to make a refund to this unresponsive client?

If the client has 5 days to review the hours and he does not, it is not my fault. ¿What should i do now? ¿What meditation team will do?

I hope you can help me. Thank you.

3 REPLIES 3
prestonhunter
Community Member

Wow. She sounds like a really bad client. This is very unprofessional and immoral behavior on her part. I wonder if she will go to Dairy Queen and ask for a refund for the ice cream sundae she ate last month.

You are NOT obliged to refund any money to the client.

If she ALREADY has disputed the hours, then what will happen is this:

Upwork will review your work diaries.

If you followed all the rules for Payment Protection, you will be paid for your hours. If you did NOT follow those rules, then the hours will be removed and the client will receive a refund.

Reviewing the rules:

- Was the client payment verified?

- Did you use the Upwork desktop-based time-tracker application (not manual time)?

- Did you write meaningful memos annotating what you were doing?

- Do the screenshots show you were working on her project?

- Do the work diary time segments show sufficient activity levels?

Hi, she didn't disputed nothing. She only has the option of request a refund or ask for help to upwork. She missed the deadline of 5 days of revision. 

re: "Hi, she didn't disputed nothing. She only has the option of request a refund or ask for help to upwork. She missed the deadline of 5 days of revision."

Then you don't need to refund her anything.

She's just clicking a button that she found:

"Oh... a Refund button? I will just click this and get free money!"

No, that's not how this works.

By clicking the button for no reason at all, she is basically forgetting the fact that you - the freelancer - are a real human being who really worked on this project and really spent your time to help you with what she asked you to do.

What I WOULD PERSONALLY DO if I received that request (which has no power behind it, and is basically just a message to you), is I would be consistently polite and professional, and I would send a messge to ask why she was requesting a refund.

Maybe she will never answer, and the matter will be closed.

If she responds, then you can tell her you appreciate what she had to say, and you are going to do what you can to get her an appropriate refund. Tell her you will talk to Upwork and ask about what she had to say. THEN COME HERE and discuss it with us.

It may take us some time to discuss the matter, but we can offer you advice, and help you determine an appropriate amount to refund her, which may be between zero dollars to the full amount.

You may be able to offer her a small refund so that she can save face and feel that she is being heard and understood. You want her to feel like she has been treated respectfully as a client. Sometimes all people want is to be heard.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths