🐈
» Forums » Clients » Client says they work for XYZ company, but I ...
Page options
kaikin
Community Member

Client says they work for XYZ company, but I have reason to believe they are lying

I'm in discussion with a client who says they work for XYZ company. After looking at the company website and searching online, I don't see this person listed on XYZ company as an employee, but I do see that they are part of ABC agency. I asked if it is work for XYZ company, or for an agency of behalf of XYZ company, and they said it is work for XYZ company. I understand that it's common for angencies to hire freelancers to help with projects, however, not being forthcoming about it does raise alarm for me. Would anyone else feel a bit concerned? Or in your opinion am I being over-sensitive to potential scam?

3 REPLIES 3
colettelewis
Community Member

This would raise a red flag

Kathleen A wrote:

I'm in discussion with a client who says they work for XYZ company. After looking at the company website and searching online, I don't see this person listed on XYZ company as an employee, but I do see that they are part of ABC agency. I asked if it is work for XYZ company, or for an agency of behalf of XYZ company, and they said it is work for XYZ company. I understand that it's common for angencies to hire freelancers to help with projects, however, not being forthcoming about it does raise alarm for me. Would anyone else feel a bit concerned? Or in your opinion am I being over-sensitive to potential scam?

This would raise a red flag for me. But you could ask a few more questions about the job and that if they are interested in hiring you to send you an offer so that a formal contract with Upwork can be activated. If they can't do that, then I would pass on it. 

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "I'm in discussion with a client who says they work for XYZ company. After looking at the company website and searching online, I don't see this person listed on XYZ company as an employee, but I do see that they are part of ABC agency."

I have never done a Google search (or any kind of search) for a company name or client name. I have no interest in that whatsoever.

I am not interested in client's names or company names.

I routinely work for clients without knowing their name or without knowing the name of the company they work for.

I pay attention to the information available on Upwork.

None of what you are describing causes any concern for me.

But that is only my opinion, as a freelancer.

I am sure that there are people who feel the same way that I do, and I am sure that there are people who disagree with me.

To be completely honest, my work speciality means that I am often one of the first people hired by a new company, or a person planning to start a company. So it is normal for me to work for people who are planning a company, but have no established company or website yet.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Kathleen,

I checked this for you and the client's offer looks legit the same as their account. It's definitely a great call to keep an eye out for fraudsters out there who may try to take advantage of professionals like you. Please check our Stay Safe series and learn more on how to work safe online:

If you see a violation of the Upwork Terms of Service, we encourage you to use Report Suspicious User Activity feature.

Happy working! 

~ Bojan
Upwork
Latest Articles
Learning Paths