🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: Client siphoned close to $700 into her pa...
Page options
pmedia81
Community Member

Client siphoned close to $700 into her paypal account over the course of a year

Just curious if this scenario has happened to anyone and what to do about it.  I gave my freelancer a lot of freedom and access, and she created a side account and used our company's content to earn on the side.

It looks like she has siphoned around $700 over a year.

When confronted, she said her loyalty was worth the 700.

Since she probably can't/won't pay it back, would you consider taking legal action?

4 REPLIES 4
petra_r
Community Member

You want to change the subject line... It was a freelancer who did this, not a client.

@jason P wrote:

Since she probably can't/won't pay it back, would you consider taking legal action?

If you hired her on Upwork, report her.

If she is in the same country as you, it might (!) be worth taking legal action

tlbp
Community Member

What do you mean by side account and content? But, yeah, if you think corporate assets were taken, report the freelancer. 

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Jason,

I`m sorry to hear about the bad experience you had with your freelancer.

Feel free to send me a PM (click on my name) with more details about this and I will assist you further, thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Since she probably can't/won't pay it back, would you consider taking legal action?"

Legal action?

For $700?

I would definitely NOT recommend it!

Lawyers are expensive.

And if the other person does not live in the same country, and same state as you do... It is unlikely you could succeed no matter how much you spend. From a financial perspective, legal action is a bad idea.

You probably lack personal jurisdiction. So you could not sue them locally.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/personal_jurisdiction:

"Personal jurisdiction refers to the power that a court has to make a decision regarding the party being sued in a case. Before a court can exercise power over a party, the U.S. Constitution requires that the party has certain minimum contacts with the forum in which the court sits."

The place to take care of this is within Upwork and/or PayPal.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths