🐈
» Forums » Clients » Clients abusing Upwork hurts freelancers but ...
Page options
andrew_croft
Community Member

Clients abusing Upwork hurts freelancers but no one seems to care

Hi,

I see so many projects relisted at different - often much lower prices - without any regard for freelancers.

Never mind the response rate is so unbelievably pathetic low on Upwork... to have a project you just spent 6 credits to bid on suddenly relisted as a separate new project and you've lost those 6 credits.

This borders on fraud. And fraud needs to be reported. And the company commiting the fraud needs to answer for this.

Upwork?

In comparison, I came across another freelance web site that, while more expensive, the response rate is incredible. Unlike Upwork at about 1 in 20, 1 in 25... even worse... I am getting 1 in 4 or 5 responses on work and have started, in the past week, about $2000 in work.

Upwork? Pffftt... just a money-grabbing platform that claims to create a safe and secure environment when it is basically operating like a Nigerian Prince scam. Send us your money we send you work. Not happening.

If I submit a quote - while I certainly do not expect to be chosen 9 times out of 10, I expect a reasonable amount of response and definittely will not put up with fraudulent users who post the project over and over and over again. At the absolute very least... Upwork needs to credit me back - otherwise it is complicit in this fraud.

Clearly we have a major issue here with fraud and this needs to be answered. Immediately, if not sooner. The FBI may be standing by.

14 REPLIES 14
prestonhunter
Community Member

I appreciate your comments on this topic.

But I'm not sure I see anything that isn't being addressed already.

These are issues that Upwork has long grappled with, and already does many things to try to make the platform work for both freelancers and clients.

Preventing fraud is an ongoing concern, but not something that can be completely squashed because scammers are constantly evolving their techniques to evade the latest efforts against them.

Your specific concern about job re-listing appears to be one of those things that Upwork could initiate new and improved efforts to address. It kind of seems like this isn't being addressed at all, but should be. If I was personally in charge (which I am not), then I would put in place a report of clients who post jobs without hiring at all and repost identical or near-identical jobs. There isn't a good reason for this. If a client feels that his job isn't being seen by freelancers, then he needs a way to "bump" the job and be shown as "still hiring" without taking the job down entirely.

re: "The FBI may be standing by."

LOL.

I assume that you are joking about that.

petra_r
Community Member

Andrew C wrote:

In comparison, I came across another freelance web site that, while more expensive, the response rate is incredible. Unlike Upwork at about 1 in 20, 1 in 25... even worse... I am getting 1 in 4 or 5 responses on work and have started, in the past week, about $2000 in work.

Upwork? Pffftt... just a money-grabbing platform that claims to create a safe and secure environment when it is basically operating like a Nigerian Prince scam

Great. So just stop using Upwork, close your account and use that other platform if you can't be as successful here.

Andrew C wrote:

Send us your money we send you work. Not happening.

Nowhere has upwork ever promised anything of the sort.

Upwork isn't for everyone. If it doesn't suit you, don't use it.

Problem solved.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Upwork is a platform that provides clients and freelancers the possibility to connect. I don't think the FBI cares a lot about that. 

tta192
Community Member

Andrew C wrote:

[... ... ...]

..., the response rate is incredible. Unlike Upwork at about 1 in 20, 1 in 25... even worse...

[... ... ...]

You're almost on the right track there: monitoring your response rate can help improve your proposals, profile, job selection, client screening, and many other elements to optimize the effort spent per $ income. It IS a numbers game and Upwork does supply quality "raw material", however it's up to you to use it properly. There will be scammers, tyre kickers, low ballers and even fellow freelancers posing as clients just to test the market. But if you find one serious client amongst them, that makes the whole batch worth the effort.

You don't care what a client does after you submit a proposal, unless they reply. Those connects are gone, and spending time to check on irrelevant details is wasteful with no benefit to your account.

a_lipsey
Community Member

Andrew C wrote:

Hi,

I see so many projects relisted at different - often much lower prices - without any regard for freelancers.

Never mind the response rate is so unbelievably pathetic low on Upwork... to have a project you just spent 6 credits to bid on suddenly relisted as a separate new project and you've lost those 6 credits.

This borders on fraud. And fraud needs to be reported. And the company commiting the fraud needs to answer for this.

Upwork?

Upwork? Pffftt... just a money-grabbing platform that claims to create a safe and secure environment when it is basically operating like a Nigerian Prince scam. Send us your money we send you work. Not happening.

If I submit a quote - while I certainly do not expect to be chosen 9 times out of 10, I expect a reasonable amount of response and definittely will not put up with fraudulent users who post the project over and over and over again. At the absolute very least... Upwork needs to credit me back - otherwise it is complicit in this fraud.

Clearly we have a major issue here with fraud and this needs to be answered. Immediately, if not sooner. The FBI may be standing by.

The problem with your logic is that Upwork isn't trying to be like that other website. I'm not defending Upwork, just saying that different platforms go after different areas of the market and do so in different ways. 

I think if you are finding success on another platform you should seriously just stay off Upwork and earn money on that other platform. If you found what works then do more of that. And I'm not saying "if you don't like it the leave", not at all. What I'm saying is if you found what works, then do more of that! Don't waste your time somewhere that doesn't make you money. 

Congrats on your success on that other platform. 

aitringo
Community Member

Personally, Thanks God, with a response rate approx. 1/5, I can assure you that what is not working in the case you're describing is not the Upwork platform, nor the clients who choose to repost their jobs: without hesitation, I can say that the problem comes from your proposals.
With a response rate of less than 1/25, this clearly indicates the multitude of optimizations you'll have to do to make your proposals more interesting, improve your response rate, and far exceed that of your competitors.

This reminds me of my beginnings, not having any experience yet, I thought the world was against me. But step by step, I understood that every little detail counts, and the result, as my colleagues say, is the sum of all the efforts & details combined.

PS: the FBI part made me laugh, especially since I imagine that full-time paid agents are going to invest their time for a connects story...
I'm trying to lighten the mood, but seriously, it's nobody's fault that we chose to make an offer. Even less so if our proposal is flawed.

claudiacezy
Community Member

Andrew C wrote:

I see your profile is private. I'm not sure if the profile can be seen by clients when you submit proposals, maybe this is the reason you have a lower response rate. I remember I read long time ago that clients can see the profile (private) when you apply to their job, however, once, a client to whom I sent a proposal told me that my profile can't be accessed (I had set my profile to private).

Maybe someone can clarify. Can the client acccess/view the profile if you submit a proposal while your profile is set to private?

Claudia Z wrote:

I see your profile is private. I'm not sure if the profile can be seen by clients when you submit proposals

It isn't. It's set to "Upwork users only" which means that it can't be clicked through from the forum. It is NOT set to private and even if it was set to private (which it isn't), clients he applies to can still see the profile.

Edited because whilst the profile is now set to "Upwork users only", it wasn't at the time

andrew_croft
Community Member

Claudia Z... wow... I cannot believe this... many thanks for pointing this out.

Upwork - what did you do to my profile??????? WHAT??????

I would never turn off my profile - this is ridiculous. Why does Upwork throw so many barriers at us at literally every single turn. I have a few great clients on here - but I could certainly have more if it wasn't for Upwork's truly annoying platform. i would NEVER create a platform for freelancers that throws up barriers like this all the time. This platform is not *FOR* freelancers, clearly.

Again, thank you for taking the time to figure out what is probably the main problem.

Have had so much more success on a new freelancer platform, I'm giving Upwork just one more chance... if it wasn't for the few regular contracts I have - it's just too tiring to use it much longer.

Upwork - what did you do to my profile??????? WHAT??????

Nobody did anything to your profile, it's perfectly visible, it is set to "Upwork users only" .- which just means that it can't be clicked through from the forum.

Andrew C wrote:

Again, thank you for taking the time to figure out what is probably the main problem.

It isn't.

Edited because whilst the profile is now set to "Upwork users only", it wasn't at the time

Petra - when Claudia Z pointed out the issue - as no one else had any helpful suggestions - I immediately corrected the issue. There was no other reason for this drop off - my approach has always been professional and courteous.

I have had a great track record on Upwork in the past two years - last year I averaged about $1500 per month - I am not a newbie or a hack - and this is only maybe 1/10th of my overall income... I only use Upwork on the side when things are slow. When I continued the same approach to projects and yet in the past three months had barely less than $1000 in sales... something is wrong on Upwork's side. And getting sick and tired of the scams... and one client cancelled a project because they chose me, then tripled the size of the work - not acceptable - Upwork just allows anyone to post a project and it has only gotten worse.

Thank yuou Claudia Z... I have fixed my profile setting thanks to you - now working with Upwork technical support to find out what went wrong, somewhere around late Odtober.

Ah, so your profile WAS set to private and you set it back to "Upwork users only"? In that case let me edit my response. Thanks for clearing that up.

That said, even with your profile set to private, clients you send proposals to still see your profile. You are just not appearing in search results.

claudiacezy
Community Member

Andrew C wrote:

Clearly we have a major issue here with fraud and this needs to be answered. 

terms-and-conditions-winking.jpg

85927ab2
Community Member

I agree with you. In fact, this matter is very sad. People who post fake jobs try to do it perfectly. Although the first one is somewhat successful, at some point Upwork suspends those ids. Upwork intelligent teams are always working with fake job posts. However, if the higher rate is less, you should not apply for that job.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths