cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clients, do you read all proposals ? Do you see all of them ?

yurynmuz
Community Leader
Yury M Member Since: Jun 16, 2017
21 of 27

Cheers Jennifer

Everybody gave very helpful info for new freelancers.

So, I decided to keep this tactic: will write very short and actual proposal starting with names.

Have a good time

yurynmuz
Community Leader
Yury M Member Since: Jun 16, 2017
22 of 27

Cheers Richard, your info is very helpful also

Have a good time

kingjimjames
Jim Chrochie E Member Since: Feb 21, 2019
23 of 27

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Clients/Clients-do-you-read-all-proposals-Do-you-see-all-of-them/td-...

I have to make a strong case here regarding the above Forum discussion. As we Newbies lack of any JSS or a Top Rated Badge, we can no longer compete and only wasting hundred of connects to get a Client. A clear fact was stated in community thread above. Upwork best match algorithm will not work as of course Top Rated and High JSS will show first vs your No Badge proposal will get buried along with your hopes. 

Writing an astonishing proposal and hundreds of connects spent, a premium membership with a well-crafted portfolio has no chance to survive with the TOP Rated and JSS Badge. Unless, Upwork start interviewing newbies, assessing their skills and start believing raw talents, endorse them to Clients. 

moonraker
Community Guru
Jamie F Member Since: Mar 7, 2010
24 of 27

Jim Chrochie E wrote:

Writing an astonishing proposal and hundreds of connects spent, a premium membership with a well-crafted portfolio has no chance to survive with the TOP Rated and JSS Badge. 

That is just not true. 

When I hire, top-rated badges and JSS are not deal makers or breakers. If I am suitably impressed by an application, I will hire. I will also overlook people that are top-rated etc if their applications don't impress. Other people in this very thread have said similar. 
I hire at the lower end of the payscale, similar to the rates on your profile. I actually look for new freelancers because some are quality freelancers that have artificially low rates because they are trying to build a profile. 
Also, everybody else on Upwork started off as a newbie. If they can do it, then there's no excuses for others. 

mwiggenhorn
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
25 of 27

None of us had a JSS at the beginning.  In fact, when I started, Rising Talent didn't even exist.  We wrote a profile and proposals that highlighted our experience and expertise before we came to the platform and sold our clients based on that.

resultsassoc
Community Guru
Bill H Member Since: Aug 18, 2017
26 of 27

Yury,

If you know what the algorithm is that produces JSS please share it. Otherwise, I have no clue what a JSS is measuring, so I ignore it. Badges and awards are bright shiny objects and I am sure some people are easily distracted by such things. I'm not. Nor am I a typical client. When I was focused on large complex projects for some time, and needed to hire specific  expertise to fill holes, I used invitation only. Due to health concerns I haveI shut down management consulting; my clients came to me with existential issues, and I know that some day, probably sooner rather than later, I will not be able to meet clients' needs in resolving them. So, I passed the clients on. Now, I am writing.

I do most of my hiring on another board that is not quite so self-absorbed. I acknowledge every application and thank the freelancer for taking the time to reply. If the individual makes sense, I set up a voice-to-voice chat. I keep every applicant in the loop throughout the selection process. For those whom I don't choose, I tell them why they didn't win the work. I just hired an illustrator through UW, and my favorite was simply too expensive. It isn't that he isn't worth what he charges; I'm a hobbyist writer, and can only afford to invest so much in any single book. His fees would guarantee that I lost more money than I was willing to lose on the work.

This is rare, because I usually decline based on the price being too low. If you don't think you're worth much, I'm not going to dispute that. If feedback is used at all, I ignore all feedback without a narrative. Thus, a 4.2 with narrative is far more valuable than a 5.0 with no words.About half of my hires have zero records. If they're good, I try to help them get more work so they don't leave freelancing to get a full-time job.

Good luck.

wendy_writes
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
27 of 27

Mary's comments hold true for every single person who has found work here.  As Jamie said "everybody else on Upwork started off as a newbie. If they can do it, then there's no excuses for others."

And as far as a track record > Bill summed it up perfectly.  Stars, whistles, shiny things are worthless.  As is JSS - trying to sort and understand a 'secret' algorithm makes it useless to both buyers and FLers. Words count.  If a client takes the time to write more than "good job" - that is worth the world.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS