Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clients - minimum bid $4?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
1 of 42
It seems that oDesk is beta-testing a new system where jobs requires a bid of at $4 or more. It is being tested on certain freelancers. I have not seen it. (Well, actually I haven't applied for any jobs in a while.) On the forum, there seem to be quite a few complaints from the freelancers who compete by placing very low bids. I have not heard anything from clients about this; I'm not even sure how it works. Do any of you have the ability to filter job applicants this way? What do you think of it?
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Sherajum M Member Since: Apr 3, 2012
2 of 42
As I see, it's not depending on freelancer, it's depend on job type. I just check some post where oDesk not allowing freelancer to bid less than $4 to $1 & some are out of this criteria. So you can bid at your choice, but not less than $0.01. I also check my client profile, but there is no such as option to set a minimum bid for posting a hourly job.
Highlighted
Community Guru
3 of 42
Someone on another thread said it was the freelancer, which I agree does not make sense. What are the job types it applies to?
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Sherajum M Member Since: Apr 3, 2012
Highlighted
Community Guru
5 of 42
Thanks. I tried applying for a couple of these with a very low rate just to see what would happen, and it would not let me.
Highlighted
Robin C Member Since: Jan 10, 2012
6 of 42
I tried them also, and I had the same experience. So, then, does that mean that the three of us are among the guinea pigs. That seems silly. What information would they even get out of setting such a silly limit on me: that I never bid that low anyways? No, I was able to bid as low as one penny on the same jobs that Sherajum was able too, and I was limited on the same jobs also. I would say that seems to make it about the jobs, not the freelancers applying to them. The rate it required from me was a few cents smaller than Sherajum's screenshots show, but it has been a few days, so it could fluctuate in time or by freelancer. It was only a few cents, though.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Bojana D Member Since: May 2, 2011
7 of 42
For the kicks I tried applying to some design jobs - I'm a guinea pig as well, my minimum is apparently $2 Smiley Very Happy
Highlighted
Gaurav B Member Since: Oct 28, 2012
8 of 42
Odesk is testing a new system where you can't apply for any of the job on odesk in less than 4$/hour right now they are testing it on some of the profiles worldwide but within a month or so same will be implement Worldwide. For example you can't bid than less than 3$ on Elance odesk is doing the same.
Highlighted
Marie A Member Since: Jun 24, 2012
9 of 42
Great News I just had confirmation from the O desk help center that the minimum hourly rate of 4$ applies to all freelancers on O desk. This means that the client has no option but to hire the freelancers at this minimum rate or a hire rate creating fair competition.
Highlighted
Jeannette A Member Since: Mar 9, 2012
10 of 42
I had also contacted odesk with this issue. Indeed, they confirmed that it was designed for my profile but they didn't give any further instructions then suddenly disappeared. ***I have asked some of my friends and they can bid lower than $4... so it doesn't really mean that minimum of $4 is implemented for everyone. Personally, I'm okay with the minimum of $4 bid but how about my agency contractors, who has no odesk experience? I can't bid below $4 for them. If they want to eliminate the low bidder specifically the (0.01 which is I think freelancers are being paid outside Odesk) maybe they could atleast make the minimum $2 which is a fair rate/hour in my country.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS