cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clients - minimum bid $4?

Highlighted
Ayesha S Member Since: Nov 22, 2009
11 of 42
Hi everyone, We are constantly testing different levers to increase the efficiency of the oDesk marketplace to ensure clients are finding the freelancers they need and freelancers are getting the jobs that they are best suited for. We have several tests running to understand what impact a minimum wage would have on the marketplace. As this is a complex area, we expect to run these tests in the marketplace for a significant time period. However we are not currently implementing a universal minimum wage. Hope this helps!
oDesk Forum Moderator Always reach for the skies, for even if you fall, you'll still be on the top of the world...
Highlighted
Doreen M Member Since: Mar 17, 2008
12 of 42
Actually this doesn't do anything for those of us who are working at significantly higher levels of payment. On top of that it doesn't address the more egregious issue of fixed rate assignments like this one: [quote]1000 articles with 300 words=600$ - Deadline for each article 1:30 hours 500 articles with 400 words=400$ - Deadline for each article 1:30 hours 2500 articles with 500 words=2500$ - Deadline for each article 2:00 hours 500 articles with 700 words=700$ - Deadline for each article 3:00 500 articles with 1000 words =1000$ Deadline for each article 4:00[/quote] On top of that (especially for tasks that have real deliverables like articles or web code) then clients are going to be even MORE tempted to hire a cheaper contractor. First we had to battle with the cheap contractors showing up on our profiles or be removed from searches and now this. One more reason why I'm so happy that I've learned to depend less and less on oDesk over time.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
13 of 42
This is why I don't do fixed price work on oDesk unless I am invited by the client. It takes too long to read through a job post only to discover that the rate effectively comes to $.50 an hour. I tried filtering for jobs with total budget of at least $500 or $1000, but there was no point.
Highlighted
Boris D Member Since: Oct 20, 2011
14 of 42
For what its worth, i am a relatively large employer ($30k+). I had my first encounter with not being able to hire a contractor at an agreed upon rate (3.33/hr for graphics work). This has definitely cost Odesk my business. Bottom line, it is odesks' job to make it as easy as possible for an employer to hire a contractor, and manage their work. It appears that odesk has lost track of this in an attempt to increase their revenue. While i am still using odesk, this move really is the rapid begining of the end for odesk, and i am certainly going to increase my hiring from Elance Freelancer Guru vworker etc. Bad call odesk
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Maria F Member Since: Feb 1, 2010
15 of 42
As a client as well as freelancer, I can tell you that all the sites you mentioned have lower limits on projects, and their lower limits are higher than oDesk. So good luck on your move (and considering the price/hr, good riddance).
Highlighted
Community Guru
16 of 42
What kind of graphics work is worth only $3/hr?
Highlighted
katherine k Member Since: Dec 25, 2007
17 of 42
Rates should be agreed upon between the client and the contractor. oDesk should stay out of the negotiations. And, for those of you who are complaining that a rate is too low, guess what? YOU don't have to accept that low rate. I have paid over 50K on oDesk. I have great ratings. I do NOT take advantage of my people. However, I have a rate in mind, and then I pay bonuses on top of that rate. It helps guarantee that not only is my worker working, but is also providing what I need from him or her. My workers has never complained when I've paid $3 per hour to my workers in the Philippines. Their pay winds up being much more because of all the bonuses I pay. And yes, I've also hired US workers as well, at much higher rates when I need it. I'm not taking away any positions that would have paid a higher rate, I'm creating positions that would NOT exist if I couldn't do it for the rates I'm able to pay on oDesk. That will pretty much go away if the minimum rate stays in effect. Right now I'm researching other sources because of this ridiculous policy.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Tony H Member Since: Nov 10, 2011
18 of 42
[quote]I'm not taking away any positions that would have paid a higher rate, I'm creating positions that would NOT exist if I couldn't do it for the rates I'm able to pay on oDesk. That will pretty much go away if the minimum rate stays in effect.[/quote] I'm with you 100%. Unfortunately the debate on this point seems to mainly come from those who are accustom to a higher standard of living and are now getting a dose of global economic reality. These opportunities only exist because of platforms that allows easy communication & accountability between parties of a growing micro business economy. If the minimum is raised, it will just mean a greater separation between entrepreneurs and workers. Putting control in the hands of the few, while taking opportunity away from the many. The higher the minimum the greater that divide Smiley Happy If I'm right on my theories of the monetary system, and who actually owns it, this outsourcing situation is only going to grow and grow by necessity as long as the debt ceiling of the US (where many client reside) demands higher interest payments than the population can pay in taxes. ... and that's not going to change anytime soon because no president wants the collapse to happen on their clock, so they keep raising it. The only way out is to reduce costs and/or bugger other countries through war for profit. So to those who fight it... all I gotta say is get used to it cause it ain't going anywhere. if oDesk changes because it's too expensive to administer all these penny jobs... someone else will pick up the slack, or another type of platform will be created we don't even know about yet
Highlighted
Community Guru
19 of 42
I used to work for a very large, well-known UK company that had call centres in India. They moved some of their call centres back to the UK, paying UK salaries to workers (for those who don't know, the cost of living in the UK is higher than in the US), because there were so many complaints about customer service that paying cheap wages was losing the company business.(I worked in customer experience research, so I know about this first hand.) Losing a loyal customer base can be much more detrimental to a business than paying a few more dollars per hour. Talk to me when the average $1 an hour freelancer is producing the same quality work as the average $10 an hour freelancer.
Highlighted
Francina B Member Since: Jul 1, 2012
20 of 42
Boris, you have my vote. This move from Odesk has slowed down productivity and is threatening to compromise our budgets. We too are looking for another place as well. It's sad because I happen to like Odesk. Bad Call Odesk
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS