cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clients - minimum bid $4?

Highlighted
Daniel M Member Since: Oct 8, 2011
31 of 42
I don't appreciate this intrusion into my business. This is only making it difficult for me as I need to find a work around - most likely not on the O desk platform. Shame for you because I'm looking to hire the person full time potentially for a year or more. Really pathetic little "Experiment" that hurts users. Very disappointed in O desk.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
32 of 42
When I started this thread, I thought some clients would be happy with the change because it might eliminate low-bidding, talentless scammers whose only competitive edge is a ridiculously low rate, and they would only get applications from freelancers who are confident enough in their skills to charge higher-than-bottom-feeder rates. Clients wouldn't be inundated with applications from freelancers who bid on all jobs while having little or no idea how to do them professionally. I thought it would make it easier for clients to filter through applications to find qualified candidates. Oh well. Did you read Maria's post that said all other freelancing sites have a minimum?
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
German G Member Since: Jun 16, 2013
33 of 42
TBH, I think the reason for them all to have a minimum has nothing to do with decency of freelancer's rates, but with the website getting their fee.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
34 of 42
It is about oDesk taking a loss on very low paying jobs.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Bojana D Member Since: May 2, 2011
35 of 42
Me too. And I think it's a good thing. In one of the other threads on this issue Tony mentioned that it's not a good move for clients with really low budgets and freelancers who mostly compete on price - that they'll be driven away from the platform. While there will certainly be a portion of clients that will be walking way if this is implemented, I don't think the impact of them leaving would be necessarily bad for oDesk. Both th clients and the freelancers who disagree with the decision will have their chance to move on - if this market doesn't accept their preferred rates anymore, they'll either up the rate or they'll go to the next site that will try to fill the niche left free by the big guns.
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
German G Member Since: Jun 16, 2013
36 of 42
Still, I remain believing having a minimum is a good thing for all freelancers. Those bidding low will lose some clients, but the ones they get will pay them more. At the end they may get the same money working less hours.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
37 of 42
Marcia, Some people will complain no matter what. Every site out there has minimums. I don't think many realize some of the sites have higher fees then Odesk as well as they charge to get the better jobs a monthly fee on top of their other fees. But every other freelance site has minimum bids. Many have minimum on their Fixed and Hourly jobs not just hourly. This should be good for everyone. Those who were making less now can make more. The low paying scams go away. I think those complaining should look at this as an opportunity to clean up their Profiles, get their ducks in a row on their skills and raise their rates. Everyone could win with this. Contractors will get skilled help and those who were making less with the skills earn more money. Some of you complaining take some time to go do a search on different freelance sites and the minimum bid and fees. 2 of them even charge you to take tests to be added to your profile and if you want those higher paying jobs you pay a monthly fee. Stop complaining and turn this into something postive.
Highlighted
Robin C Member Since: Jan 10, 2012
38 of 42
that some of the people who are complaining the loudest are basically shooting themselves in the foot. They declare that they will take their clients or contractors elsewhere (which can get you banned on oDesk) but they obviously have not done their homework to determine that they will face the same or higher expectations on those other sites.
Highlighted
Kamal U Member Since: Jul 22, 2011
39 of 42
[quote=Robin C.]that some of the people who are complaining the loudest are basically shooting themselves in the foot. They declare that they will take their clients or contractors elsewhere (which can get you banned on oDesk) but they obviously have not done their homework to determine that they will face the same or higher expectations on those other sites.[/quote] Ok Robin I also agree with you. But why not Odesk implement minimum $4 bid policy for all freelancers. They are running this test on Certain Freelancers like me. I can't bid less than $4 but some of my friend's can bid lower even $1/hour. In my Previous post here I ask that How long this test will run, but I did't get any answer from Odesk. As a result of this test Freelancers like me losing lot of Possibilities as I normally work for around $2/Per hour.
Highlighted
Robin C Member Since: Jan 10, 2012
40 of 42
[quote=Kamal U.] I can't bid less than $4 but some of my friend's can bid lower even $1/hour.[/quote] If this is the way this "test" is indeed working, I think we can all agree that it is wrong and oDesk should stop it until they can find an ethical way to go about things. I don't know if that is part of how they have it set up to work (from what little they have said, that doesn't seem to be the case), if there is some matrix behind the differences (every time I see it, it seems those with higher posted hourly profile rates have higher minimum bid limits?), or if the "test" is full of glitches. Regardless, no matter how much I dislike the fact that this fight is about the ability for some to continue bidding at $1-2/hr (which is an unfair bid across the board), allowing some to do that and not others, in this economy, is like playing god. It is not ethical, no matter how you look at it, and they should come up with an ethical way to set a reasonable minimum for everyone or not mess with things until they can. That is my 2 cents worth, anyways. Edit: My advice, Kamal, is to utilize the time you may have because of this difficulty. Take some free courses and increase your skills. We don't know how this is going to go down, but it would be wise to assume that $1-2/hr level skills will never again be as easy to market. Increase your skills and work to ensure that you are able to compete at the $4/hr level. The training is out there and it is within your power to do it.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS