cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clients - minimum bid $4?

Highlighted
Rebecca H Member Since: Aug 27, 2008
41 of 42
We paid over $40k on oDesk last year, and a few months ago I was offered a survey which asked whether super-low price rates kept me from hiring people. My answer was yes -- if someone with a very low rate turned out to be the best candidate I would hire them at a higher rate, but I have actually never interviewed anyone with a $1/hr rate. I have to assume their skills are limited. Maybe there were enough of us who responded in that way to convince oDesk that super low rates are bad business -- or at lease bad enough that they need to experiment. I get that there might be places in the world where this could be a hardship for employers, but the U.S. is not one of those places.
Highlighted
Russell C Member Since: Jan 25, 2014
42 of 42
Rebecca The hardship will mostly be felt on the freelancer side. I recognize the nefarious side of the low bids but that does not account for everyone. Please consider that at the heart of every freelancer is a small business owner. They are in the business of marketing themselves. I agree that any person with talent should be able to charge "the going rate" for their skill where the skill is being purchased, not the rate for the place the freelancer lives. This take courage. Imagine yourself in the shoes of the person you are trying to take wages away from. To them $2.00/hr is a living wage for their area. They have summoned the courage to trust their own abilities and strike out to make a living for themselves. This alone is an amazing feat that most people will never dare. To them, the dream is still about making it on their own. For them the cost of that dream is $2.00 per hour. They dare to dream and you are demanding they "Dream Bigger" simply for your own comfort/convenience or what ever motivation you have. Can't you imagine how hard it is for them? Can't you remember asking yourself "will I be worth it?" when you were getting your start? Rather than bashing people and setting up controls that eliminate them from the market place, why not be supportive? How hard is it to encourage someone? How hard is it to tell them "you are worth it!" and teach them to believe in themselves enough to charge more? How hard is it to believe in another human being? This global market place can be an amazing opportunity for so many talented people who previously may not have had the ability to offer their services to the market. It is an opportunity to get their footing and launch themselves into a new life. It is an opportunity for them to escape the situation that makes $2.00 per hour an acceptable wage. Do you really want to crush them because you feel their asking price to chase their dream is too low? Seems a bit selfish to me.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS