🐈
» Forums » Clients » Closing a contract
Page options
ac64951a
Community Member

Closing a contract

This is my first time using Upwork and the person I Hired is also new to the platform. They completed the work for an agreed fixed price of $20...it was a very small job. It seems that I should have set contract to fixed price instead of hourly, and the only way I see to pay her is under the category of Bonus or Expenses, neither of which will close the contract?

She doesn't see and option to simply send me an invoice from her end. Setting "Milestones" seems to have been needing done at the beginning.

Anyway, how can I simply pay her, complete the contract, and leave a.nice review for her portfolio?

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

Brad:

You can check the WORK DIARY.

If the freelancer logged her time, then you will see the amount of time worked recorded.

She will be paid automatically based on the time that she logged.

If she did NOT log her time, then you can use the client-side "Send bonus" tool to pay her the correct amount.

You can use the "Send bonus" tool while a contract is still open OR after a contract has been closed.

Sometimes new freelancers don't undestand how to use the tool properly. As long as you check to make sure she didn't log time, go ahead and send her a bonus payment. Make sure that the contract is CLOSED. As long as the contract is still open, the freelancer could still log time. Sending a bonus or expense payment does NOT close a contract. So you have two steps to take:

1) send a bonus payment

2) close the contract

Note that with an hourly contract, a freelancer is NOT SUPPOSED to "send an invoice."

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
prestonhunter
Community Member

Brad:

You can check the WORK DIARY.

If the freelancer logged her time, then you will see the amount of time worked recorded.

She will be paid automatically based on the time that she logged.

If she did NOT log her time, then you can use the client-side "Send bonus" tool to pay her the correct amount.

You can use the "Send bonus" tool while a contract is still open OR after a contract has been closed.

Sometimes new freelancers don't undestand how to use the tool properly. As long as you check to make sure she didn't log time, go ahead and send her a bonus payment. Make sure that the contract is CLOSED. As long as the contract is still open, the freelancer could still log time. Sending a bonus or expense payment does NOT close a contract. So you have two steps to take:

1) send a bonus payment

2) close the contract

Note that with an hourly contract, a freelancer is NOT SUPPOSED to "send an invoice."

Thank you Preston, that is what I will do. She's also new and didn't log hours, so I will use bonus. The "close contract" button has yet to catch my eye, what heading will I find it under?

Navigate to your list of open contracts.
Click on the "Three Dots" icon.

Look for any of these:

End Contract

Close Contract

Cancel Contract

Latest Articles
Learning Paths