cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Company Name Change

22930d84
Active

How do I change my company's name? There isn't an edit button.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Guru

You CAN change your (client) company name.

Go to your client profile (not your freelancer profile if you have one) and then to Settings

then click on edit on the right next to your company name like this

edit comp. name.jpg

then put in the new company name and click "Save" like this

new comp name.jpg

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
codersaiful_com
Community Leader

I think, there is no default way of changing Company Name. Because I  also try but fail.

But there is a way: Contact with support to change company name. Actually it's the rules of company name changing.

Thanks to u.

~ Saiful, Upwork Freelancer
Be honest, works will looking for you.
petra_r
Community Guru

You CAN change your (client) company name.

Go to your client profile (not your freelancer profile if you have one) and then to Settings

then click on edit on the right next to your company name like this

edit comp. name.jpg

then put in the new company name and click "Save" like this

new comp name.jpg

When I changed my client name, it also changed my freelancer name. 

Really be careful here. It's really buggy. 

Support eventually had to change my freelancer profile back to the original while updating the new company name. 

I was unable to accomplish this by myself. 

@Charlie E wrote:

When I changed my client name, it also changed my freelancer name.

Chances are you changed your profile name, rather than your company name which would have that effect, which was why I included detailed steps, so that would not happen.

Hello, Petra. Thank you for information - and where can I find this "Edit". It doesn't work on my computer.

vladag
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Dmitry,

I see our agents advised you on the ticket you submitted an hour ago and in your recent chat conversation. Please let us know if you need further assistance and do finish creating your freelancer profile so our team could review it.

Untitled
charlieecpa
Community Leader
@petra,

As I stat in the previous post, this was a bug that was acknowledged by support.

Additionally, I wou like to point out the following:

Even if your company name is different from your freelancer name, when you communicate with your feelancers in the message system, your message system profile defaults to your freelancer profile when you are under your client account.
So essentially, there is no point in having a company name, as all communications with your contractor will be under your freelancer name.

Maybe there is a way to circumvent or avoid this, however I've been unable to figure it out.

If anyone out there is both a client and freelancer I woul be eager to hear whether you have figured this issue out.

If you have a client account and a freelancer account there are two names on that account - as essentilly the following 4 entities.

1) Your own personal name which is the name of the entire account. This is by default also

2) Your freelancer name and

3) Your company "contact" name

4) Your company name

In communications with other users, be it as a freelancer talking to a client, or a client talking to a freelancer, your name shows as people have the right to know who they are in a contractual relationship with and are dealing with.

So if you hire me or I hire you it's Charlie talking to Petra not "MyCompanyName" talking to "YourCompanyName"

It does not default to your freelancer account (or at least I have never had it do so) - it uses your contact name which is your legal name (or should be) and  which is the same as on your freelancer account.

By default you can not remove or change the "contact name" for your client account, as the owner of the client account has to be a real person and the same real person who owns the overall Upwork account.

If you wanted other people within your physical company to talk to your hired freelancers you could set them up as administartors, they can then talk to your freelancers and the freelancers see their name, not yours.

@Petra,

I have to give you a Kudos for taking the time to write such a comprehensive response to my post.

However, I must take issue with part of the following statement:

"In communications with other users, be it as a freelancer talking to a client, or a client talking to a freelancer, your name shows as people have the right to know who they are in a contractual relationship with and are dealing with."

I own two companies which are seperate legal entities. When I make a payment to a freelaner through Upwork, it is via a company bank account or credit card. The freelancer is NOT in a contractual relationship with myself, but rather my company. 

I am not being a stickler for details, but as a CPA there are important legal/tax implications for clarification of the seperation that exists. 

I must stress that I have absolutely no problem with any freelancer, client or community member knowing exactly who I am. I quick Google search of my name will pull up 10+ years worth of history. 

Additionally:

"If you wanted other people within your physical company to talk to your hired freelancers you could set them up as administartors, they can then talk to your freelancers and the freelancers see their name, not yours."

I was not aware of this functinality. This was helpful.

Thanks.

I hear what you're saying Charlie, and I am not arguing for (or against) the ways it is at the moment, I was just explaining it 🙂

• Click on your profile name, e.g. Asim KumarM, open the the list of agency you have. Then cleck on the name of the agency you want to change name of. 
  • Let the page load. 
  •  **Edited for Community Guidelines**
  • Then, cleck on setting.
  • Let the page load. Capture3.PNG
  • Now, click on edit; you will get a edding option. Capture4.PNGIf you are done, cleck on save. 
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS