🐈
» Forums » Clients » Complain about a Freelancer
Page options
da6811f2
Community Member

Complain about a Freelancer

Hi,

I am new to upwork. I have hired a freelancer to complete a task, and she told me she will give me the result when I complete the payment and give her a good review. I had to do it, and after I got the file from her, I saw that her work is all wrong. I am wondering how can I change my review to let others know not be tricked in giving her reviews before getting the actual work? 

Sincerely

1 REPLY 1
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "I have hired a freelancer to complete a task, and she told me she will give me the result when I complete the payment and give her a good review."

This freelancer was using the platform incorrectly.

Her mention of doing something in return for a good review is "feedback manipulation." This is a violation of Upwork ToS.

It was not appropriate for the freelancer to tell you that you need to pay her and give her a review first. When you hire a freelancer, the freelancer needs to give you the work WHILE working on, whenever you want it, if she is working using an hourly contract. If it is a fixed-price contract, the freelancer is supposed to give you ALL OF THE WORK before she receives payment.

Fixed-price: The client gives you all of the files, unhampered in any way, and then you review it. And then you release payment. And then you can close the contract and leave a review.

You said that you want to "complain" about this freelancer? Because this freelancer violated Upwork ToS and protocols, it is appropriate to go to the freelancer's profie page, click on the "Three Dots" icon, and choose the "Flag as inappropriate" option.

Screen Shot 2021-10-16 at 10.19.47 PM.png

You may choose the "Something else" option and briefly explain the freelancer's violation of Upwork ToS (asking for a good review, and asking for payment before she sent the work). Do not mention the poor quality of the freelancer's work. That is not what this form is used for.

Screen Shot 2021-10-16 at 10.20.05 PM.png

re: "I saw that her work is all wrong. I am wondering how can I change my review to let others know not be tricked in giving her reviews before getting the actual work?"

You can not change your review.

You may ask the freelancer to click a button which will enable you to change the review:

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211068458-Enable-Clients-to-Change-Feedback

But she is unlikely to click that button. So I wouldn't even bother asking.

Your responsibility to other Upwork users ends with your report using the "Flag as inappropriate" button. Hopefully Upwork will remove this freelancer from the platform entirely, and you won't need to worry about your review leading any other clients astray.

Now you know how to use Upwork properly in the future.

Don't release fixed-price payment before receiving the work.

Don't leave feedback before actually reviewing the work.

If a freelancer asks you to do the inappropriate things that this freelancer asked of you, then report them. Don't hire them and pay them money.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths