🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: Concerned about weird payment offer
Page options
pasha-sami
Community Member

Concerned about weird payment offer

Hi, I came here in search of advice. Hopefully this is the right place to come. I recently applied to a job. The client offered to pay me 25% after the whole project was complete and I submitted it to them and the remaining 75% after all edits were completed. 

 

Now I find this strange. In my work, there is mostly milestone system and I don't know what guarantee there is that once I hand in the whole work as 'the first milestone', the client won't just take the project and disappear, paying me only the 25%.

 

I really need some advice here on how to proceed.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member


Khadija R wrote:

I really need some advice here on how to proceed.


The way to proceed is not to accept this arrangement.

 

Unless the project is huge (is it? How much money are we talking about?) is to do it as one milestone (to do the work with an agreed maximum number of edits).

 

If the project really is very large, cut it down into proper stages such as girst half as milestone one and second half as milestone two.


A client who offers to fund only 25% of the money and expects 100% of the work is a client I walk away from.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
prestonhunter
Community Member

The client could indeed leave after paying you only the first milestone.

 

There is nothing wrong with that.

 

If that is not okay with you, then don't agree to the arrangement the client proposed.

 

Clients are never required to fund a second milestone.

pgiambalvo
Community Member

Make them set up and fund the second milsestone BEFORE sending the first 25%.


Peter G wrote:

Make them set up and fund the second milsestone BEFORE sending the first 25%.


That isn't possible. Only one milestone can be funded. The second milestone can't be funded until the first one has been released.

petra_r
Community Member


Khadija R wrote:

I really need some advice here on how to proceed.


The way to proceed is not to accept this arrangement.

 

Unless the project is huge (is it? How much money are we talking about?) is to do it as one milestone (to do the work with an agreed maximum number of edits).

 

If the project really is very large, cut it down into proper stages such as girst half as milestone one and second half as milestone two.


A client who offers to fund only 25% of the money and expects 100% of the work is a client I walk away from.

tagrendy
Community Member

Of course, reject. 100% needs to be setup for the main work, and edits are extra work. Client is likely a cheapskate and a headache, I'd be surprised if he didn't even ask for refund on 25% after you finish it, saying some bogus reason, and threaten you by a bad feedback.

pasha-sami
Community Member

Thanks for all the helpful advice, guys! I guess it was a no-brainer but the money was quite decent and I was perhaps a little motivated by that. Anyway, I just told the client that I work per milestone or not at all. She instantly went into defense mode but I stuck to my guns(thank you for the push). She finally said she'd think about it and vanished. But at this point, even if she comes back, I won't work with her. There is now going to be the fear in the back of my head that she'll demand a refund at the end. So, not happening!

 

Once again, thank you so much!

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths