Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confession

Alan L Member Since: Aug 17, 2017
1 of 6

Hi there,
My name is Alan, from Belgium....
i found this consultant on your site named **Edited for Community Guidelines** from Poland, we agreed on the terms an according to how she promote herself it believed she can pull of the job task in R.

Surprisingly, in the middle of the job she told me she could not go on with the task as it was too difficult for her, but by the time she realize she cant go on with the programme, i was already sent her the initial fee of 200 Euro through her bank account transfer as we were communication on regular basis. due to that she agree to return the money and that was 3 weeks ago. But until today, she have not returned the money to me so i feel i have been coned by her as she took my honest and kindness for weakness.

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
2 of 6

I'm sure someone official will be along to deal with you soon, but just a bit of information...

Naming freelancers or clients in the forums is prohibited.

So, of course, is making payments outside the platform. Since you have admitted here that through your "honest kindness" you violated TOS and ripped off Upwork by making a bank transfer to the freelancer, your account will probably be suspended.

Alan L Member Since: Aug 17, 2017
3 of 6

Thanks for the update, let me wait for the authorities to deal with me may be i can get a clear tell them everything as am supposed to

@Tiffany S wrote:

I'm sure someone official will be along to deal with you soon, but just a bit of information...

Naming freelancers or clients in the forums is prohibited.

So, of course, is making payments outside the platform. Since you have admitted here that through your "honest kindness" you violated TOS and ripped off Upwork by making a bank transfer to the freelancer, your account will probably be suspended.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
4 of 6

Alan,

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like you officially hired and paid the freelancer on Upwork. It isn't only a serious violation of Upwork ToS as Tiffany pointed out, but it also means that Upwork Payment Protection doesn't apply. Since the money wasn't transferred via our system we won't be able to help with any refund.

Please, check this help article for more information.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
5 of 6

Alan, I believe you were conned.

While it is possible for a real Upwork freelancer to get in over her head and realize she can't complete a task, only a scammer or con artist would ask you to pay off platform.

With a legitimate Upwork freelancer, you would not have released any money upfront, so the money would have all been refunded back to you.

I hope that Upwork does everything possible to permanently terminate the freelancer from the platform. Thank you for reporting what that dishonest scammer did.

Although you (the client) participated in a serious violation of Upwork TOS, you did so out of ignorance and not out of a desire to con anybody, I hope that Upwork will allow you to continue to the platform, as I know you will not make this mistake again.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 6

re: "let me wait for the authorities to deal with me may be i can get a clear tell them everything as am supposed to"

As a practical matter, I am not sure what you expect to happen. You have violated Upwork TOS, but you have not broken any criminal law that your local authorities have any jurisdiction over. So you really have no further business with local authorities. You can't turn yourself in to local authorities for violating Upwork TOS.

And the freelancer who conned you is outside of the jurisdiction or reach of local authorities, so there is nothing that can be done. The matter is over. Outside of reporting this to Upwork, the only thing you can really do is learn from your mistake and move on.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS