🐈
» Forums » Clients » Contract Change
Page options
b051d170
Community Member

Contract Change

Hello, 

I set up a contract with someone for a fixed rate. We agreed on 9 hours and we have completed 2. I no longer wish to work with this freelancer as I don't he is a good match for what I am trying to accomplish. Can I change the contract? The full funds are in escrow, how can I pay him for the time worked and get the rest of the funds back?

Thank you,

MJ

2 REPLIES 2
ArjayM

Hi MJ,

Escrow rules limit you to funding one milestone at a time. Funds must be released on the current milestone before the next one can be activated and funded. You cannot change the order of active milestones; however, you can choose to release a partial payment. Any remaining funds can be used to fund the next milestone. If you and your freelancer decide to end this contract now, you’ll need to request an escrow refund for the remainder. Feel free to review this help article for more details.

~ Arjay
Upwork
prestonhunter
Community Member

MJ:
The EASIEST thing for you to do would be to close the contract right now and release all escrow money to the freelancer and be done with it. There are no rules against doing that.

If you want to get some money back, then you will need to put in more effort.

You may follow these directions:

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211062058-Get-an-Escrow-Refund

Basically, you may close the contract and when you do so, you may EDIT the amount of money to be released, changing it to any amount you prefer.

That will cause a REFUND REQUEST to be sent to the freelancer.

The freelancer may accept or reject your request for a refund.

So the smart thing to do would be to TALK to the freelancer first, and get him to agree to a refund amount. For example, if there is $100 in escrow right now, you could propose that you release 50% to the freelancer. If he agrees to that, then go ahead and close the contract, and he'll quickly agree, and you'll get the agreed-up amount of money back.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths