🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: Contract about to expire in 14 days. Simp...
Page options
2e893ca9
Community Member

Contract about to expire in 14 days. Simple explanation to extend contract please.

I know this topic has been cnvassed before but everything I read is confusing.

I have a fixed price contract but the job is not complete. I wish to give extra time for it to be completed. This should be quite simple, like one button should achieve this. But from what I've read it's confusing and seems a lengthy and convoluted process. I just don't understand what I need to do.

Can someone please explain in simple terms like Upwork for Dummies.

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8
JoanneP

Hi Peter,

I'd be happy to assist you with your concern. I would just like to clarify, did you receive a notification about your contract with the freelancer expiring in 14 days? Was it about a Fixed-price contract being dormant? If you do, please know that Fixed-price contracts with money in escrow and no activity for 90 days will be considered “dormant.” This prevents money from being held in escrow for too long. Please see section 4 of the Fixed Price Escrow Instructions details on how dormant contract situations are resolved. To avoid a dormant contract, we recommend keeping a current milestone’s deadline within 90 days.

~ Joanne
Upwork
c19967f3
Community Member

Hello Joanne,

I faced a similar issue in my current project. The freelancer is currently working on the task but hasn't been able to finish it within the deadline. I want to keep the contract open but it has auto-expired.

What are my possible options here? Do I need to wait for the refund and create a new milestone or can I somehow revert this action and continue with the same milestone?

Hi Akash,

Thank you for your message. I am sorry to hear about your contract. You will be unable to reactivate the closed contract. You can request the freelancer to approve the refund request and initiate a new contract. 

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
petra_r
Community Member

Peter D wrote:

I just don't understand what I need to do.

Can someone please explain in simple terms

Simply release a part of the money in escrow (for example: if 50% of the work is done, release 50% of the funded money) and set up a new milestone which will be funded through the money that is still in Escrow.

To release a part of a funded milestone:

1. Select the contract from Jobs My Jobs and click Review & Pay
  2. Choose Approve & Pay
  3. Click the pencil icon 
  4. Enter the amount to be released
  5. Click Send Payment

(Source)

2e893ca9
Community Member

My Freelancer had some personal issues and wants some more time. I am happy
to do this.

When I go to 'My Jobs' my only options are 'Pay Now' where only the whole
amount is payable and I cannot enter a lesser amount, or 'Add Milestone'
which apparently wants me to fund more money which I won't do.

There is a message:

"Based on your current remaining milestones, you have $xx.xx of budget left
to allocate to new or existing milestones."

What am I meant to do? It's not clear at all.

Hello Peter,

You can extend the contract before it's auto-closed by taking action such as releasing a partial payment or by using the link in the email notification. You can refer to this link for more information. I checked and I can see that your contract is already extended now. Feel free to message if the problem persists. 

Thank you

Pradeep H.

Upwork

Thankyou Pradeep

I'm afraid the terms of service link are useless for understanding how to
extend a contract.

As I said before, I couldn't release part payment as there was no facility
for doing so. I would likely have clicked the link in the original email but
have received no notification that the contract was extended. I've been
caught out before clicking the email link thinking it was the right thing to
do only to find that the contract expired and the money was to go to the
freelancer.

You say you can see the contract has been extended but how do I see that and
where is my email notifying me of same.

Regards

Peter

Hi Peter,

I shared your report with our team and one of our agents already reached out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your ticket on this page.

~ Nikola
Upwork
Latest Articles
Learning Paths