cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contractor runs off

Hubert P Member Since: Aug 17, 2017
1 of 11

My contractor cancels a job because he gets busy with other projects. I want this to show on his review to save others from this disappointment. How to handle?

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
2 of 11

You can't. If the job is canceled without money changing hands, you can leave private feedback for Upwork's use, but you cannot leave a public rating or comment.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 11

Hubert, if you are able to pay the freelancer, you may leave public feedback. If he closed the account, you can  obtain the ability to leave public feedback by paying the freelancer using the Pay Bonus tool.

But keep in mind, he may be able to refund anything you pay him, so I can't guarantee that this will work permanently.

If you have paid the freelancer zero dollars, then there is no way for you to leave public feedback. But rest assured that your private feedback does have an impact on his job success score.

Community Guru
4 of 11

As an experienced client, I inderstand that there is a statistically predictable failure rate for every job niche.

If I need four people to help me on a moving job, I hire 7 people on Craigslist. That means I will end up only needing to pay four people, because only four will show up.

If I need four different writers to write articles by an important deadline, then I will hire six writers on Upwork. That way I will obtain four articles, as two of the writers can be predicted to not turn in the work by the deadline, or at all.

These are simply numbers. It is nothing I take personally or expend emotional investment on. I don't owe anything to the freelancers who commit to do work but don't do it. Not money. Not time. Not even a second thought.

Community Guru
Scott E Member Since: Jul 26, 2015
5 of 11

"If I need four people to help me on a moving job, I hire 7 people on Craigslist. That means I will end up only needing to pay four people, because only four will show up."

Out of the other three people, one will start squatting in the empty house when they know you've left, one will kill you an eat you, and the other one will hijack your moving van and steal all your stuff.

That's an extreme, but more than four people turning up and having to pay more than four people... or less than four people turning up, are all considerably more likely scenarios. Add that to the possibility that the people who do turn up might not be very good, might damage your stuff, accidently break your stuff etc etc... I'd rather hire a professional moving company. Probably wouldn't be much more than if the seven people end up arriving. 

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)
Community Guru
6 of 11

Scott, this is based on my own real-life experiences. I didn't say what kind of moving jobs these were.

Sometimes one needs to move things that belong to other people.

But because you asked, I have been very pleased with the work done be laborers hired from Craigslist to move my own things as well as things belonging to other people who have asked for my assistance.

The quality of the work has been excellent, but there are certain percentages of people who don't show up, whether one hires on Upwork, Craigslist or elsewhere.

Community Guru
7 of 11

Paying all who are hired is always a statistically possible outcome, and should always be considered as a possibility when one considers deadlines, budgets, etc.

Whenever I hire more people than are necessary, I'm always ready to pay all of them. The cost of their labor is outweighed by the importance of the deadline and the possible problems that would arise from not having enough people.

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
8 of 11

Hi Hubert,

I can confirm public feedback can't be left on jobs if no payment was released, but you will have the opportunity to leave an honest and accurate private feedback.

kevin c Member Since: Aug 31, 2017
9 of 11

But what they dont say is that a freelancer with good ranking can REMOVE a feedbck and make them look good again. The fact that you get perks to remove bad feedback is Upwork somewhat supporting scamming freelancers.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
10 of 11

@kevin c wrote:

But what they dont say is that a freelancer with good ranking can REMOVE a feedbck and make them look good again. The fact that you get perks to remove bad feedback is Upwork somewhat supporting scamming freelancers.

For top rated contractors, yes. It is glorrrrrious. This is me when I do it.

Image result for do you like that jim carrey

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS