🐈
» Forums » Clients » Contractor threatening to sue
Page options
b0142748
Community Member

Contractor threatening to sue

I hired a contractor and, under Terms and Settings/Description of Work, I attached a PDF (see attached) with bullet points of what I wanted done. The contractor didn't do what I asked for in the PDF, instead he created a PowerPoint presentation. I piad him $1500 for the week and terminated the contract.  Now he's back demanding another $1500. He's thretening small claims court if I don't pay. What do I do?

**Edited for community guidelines**     

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
colettelewis
Community Member

Bryan S wrote:

I hired a contractor and, under Terms and Settings/Description of Work, I attached a PDF (see attached) with bullet points of what I wanted done. The contractor didn't do what I asked for in the PDF, instead he created a PowerPoint presentation. I piad him $1500 for the week and terminated the contract.  Now he's back demanding another $1500. He's thretening small claims court if I don't pay. What do I do?

Empty threat. Ignore it.  It is very unlikely that  he would win even if he took it to court. You have paid for the work done, and closed the contract. There is nothing more to be said, but you should also report the freelancer for threatening behavior.  

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
colettelewis
Community Member

Bryan S wrote:

Empty threat. Ignore it.  It is very unlikely that  he would win even if he took it to court. You have paid for the work done, and closed the contract. There is nothing more to be said, but you should also report the freelancer for threatening behavior.  

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Bryan,

I wasn't able to identify which contract and messages you are referring to, unfortunately. Were the messages you're referring to sent outside of Upwork? 

In general, this help article outlines Upwork Protection and dispute process for hourly and fixed-price contracts. If it was an hourly contract that's been closed, the freelancer will be paid automatically for the hours they've tracked unless you as a client initiate a dispute. The freelancer won't be able to track more hours and bill you for the time if the contract was closed. 

~ Valeria
Upwork

re: "What do I do?"

In addition to reporting this goofball, which you have done here in this thread, you should block him so he can no longer waste your time.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths