🐈
» Forums » Clients » Copyright Registration
Page options
430f0077
Community Member

Copyright Registration

Is it necessary to register copyright for designs that I received from people I hired for character design if I plan on publishing and making profit from the designs through products?
Should I go to the eCo office and submit their work under my name? Or is there a specific way to mention that I own the copyright but they created them?
ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Minkyu: I really hope that you find the information you are looking for.

But this really has nothing to do with Upwork. If you wrote a book using Microsoft Word, you wouldn't ask Microsoft about how to copyright your work.

The key concept here, as it relates to Upwork, is that if you hire somebody to do work for you on Upwork, you own the work. By default. That is stated in the Upwork user agreements, and that is the same regardless of what country you or the freelancer are in.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
jcullinan
Community Member

@Minkyu K wrote:

Is it necessary to register copyright for designs that I received from people I hired for character design if I plan on publishing and making profit from the designs through products?
Should I go to the eCo office and submit their work under my name? Or is there a specific way to mention that I own the copyright but they created them?

When you pay a freelancer for the work, you then own the Work Product. See section 8.6 of the User Agreement: https://www.upwork.com/legal#useragreement

Whether you should register your copyright is up to you and the laws of your country.

But this really has nothing to do with Upwork. If you wrote a book using Microsoft Word, you wouldn't ask Microsoft about how to copyright your work.

The key concept here, as it relates to Upwork, is that if you hire somebody to do work for you on Upwork, you own the work. By default. That is stated in the Upwork user agreements, and that is the same regardless of what country you or the freelancer are in.

@Preston H wrote:

Is there a point to you repeating information already given, but with added pomposity? This is a common question, with a simple answer, no attitude required. Using Upwork is very obviously not the same as using a word processing program. Your comparison insinuates that the client is stupid for even asking and it's completely unnecessary.

? Not sure where you're seeing that. No such implication was intended.

I usually give following release note to clients:

Upon Freelancer’s (Mickey Mouse) receipt of full payment from Client (Donald Duck) the Work Product, including without limitation all Intellectual Property Rights in the Work Product, will be the sole and exclusive property of Client (Donald Duck).

You can copyright the stuff in your name, but if you are happy it may not hurt to give credit to the freelancer.  I have seen many instances where iluustrator's name is mentioned.  Some even give top-billing to them.

@Preston H wrote:

Check your tone. And consider just not posting if you're not actually adding any new information to the conversation.

@Jess C wrote:

@Preston H wrote:

Check your tone. And consider just not posting if you're not actually adding any new information to the conversation.

There is a special tone in Preston's messages, definitely. One may like it or not, but I can't remember him being offensive or disrespectful ever.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

@Rene K wrote:

@Jess C wrote:

@Preston H wrote:

There is a special tone in Preston's messages, definitely. One may like it or not, but I can't remember him being offensive or disrespectful ever.

Nah, just dripping with condescension and disdain.

@Jess C wrote:

Nah, just dripping with condescension and disdain.

Condescension and disdain. Ok.

I think I'd better shut my mouth right now.

Guffaw...😀

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

@Preston H wrote:

You don't see it because that's just your style.

We'll get used to it again 😉

Thank you for the helpful reply. Your analogy makes sense. I'll take some time to think about how much I should copyright the work.

kat303
Community Member

@Minkyu K wrote:

As long as you FULLY pay for the work that was contracted, (for the agreed proposal amount,) then that is considered a work for hire situation and YOU then own the copyright to it and can do whatever you feel like with it.

Prashant wrote:  "You can copyright the stuff in your name, but if you are happy it may not hurt to give credit to the freelancer.  I have seen many instances where iluustrator's name is mentioned.  Some even give top-billing to them."

There is an added plus to doing this. Freelancers have a wide range of contacts and share  work they know is good for both marketing value and the "I'm really proud of this" feeling.  Every view of the item can link back to your project; this translates into more viewers (and potential sales) for you as well.  

@Wendy C wrote:

Prashant wrote:  "You can copyright the stuff in your name, but if you are happy it may not hurt to give credit to the freelancer.  I have seen many instances where iluustrator's name is mentioned.  Some even give top-billing to them."

There is an added plus to doing this. Freelancers have a wide range of contacts and share  work they know is good for both marketing value and the "I'm really proud of this" feeling.  Every view of the item can link back to your project; this translates into more viewers (and potential sales) for you as well.  

WOW Wendy.  I did not think along those lines.  This is how the stuff in acedemia work - back links from genuine top level domains.

I did not know that, but here is a true story.  I know a young man who has a very ugly website hosted as a free subdomain from his university.  The university is 'The Top'.  He also has many backlinks from people also affiliated with other highly reputable places.  He is the number one top free hit on Google. I offered a makeover for free and he refused.  He had no intention to move away from his web hosting 'house' and did not want to lose those backlinks. I guess content still may be the king and matters.

Good / Quality content matters.  Drivel key word stuffed content will kill you.

4fd10997
Community Member

Hi,

it is good to register copyright of your work, so you could claim damages in the US.

williamtcooper
Community Member

You can consider copywriting materials if you believe you have a legal reason such as it's your brand or proprietary materials. Consider obtaining an attorney on Upwork for your options.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths