🐈
» Forums » Clients » Copyright protection on submitted drafts of e...
Page options
5177a7c4
Community Member

Copyright protection on submitted drafts of ebooks

Hi guys, I need to find a freelance editer to final edit my ebooks. How can I protect my draft work from being stolen, copied or plagerised during this process? Thanks in advance

3 REPLIES 3
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Allan, 

I have heard that some client/s ask their freelancer/s to sign an NDA before the start of a project. You may also refer to the Optional Service Contract Terms of the Upwork User Agreement for more information.

~ Avery
Upwork
colettelewis
Community Member

Allan R wrote:

Hi guys, I need to find a freelance editer to final edit my ebooks. How can I protect my draft work from being stolen, copied or plagerised during this process? Thanks in advance

The long and the short - you can't. An NDA is some form of protection, but if push came to shove, it would be extremely difficult to enforce, particularly across boundaries. You are the automatic owner of anything you write, and there are some measures you can take to ensure against plagiarism, before and  after you have published - such as asking Google for a takedown if you see your work copied on the internet. 

However, you can choose your editor wisely. Ensure that he or she has a solid editing and proofreading background; not just someone who says they are alchemists who can turn your words into gold. If it is any comfort, anyone calling themselves an editor would be committing professional suicide if they contravened an NDA, or stole or copied your work, or used it in any way not related to editing.

Allan:

Upwork does not offer "copyright protection" services.

But if it makes you feel better, nobody can "guarantee" that your copyrighted intellectual property will never be stolen or used improperly.

There are, however, ways to minimize the possibility of having problems. This is something you can study on your own. But this is also something you can hire Upwork freelancers to consult with you about. There are ways to protect intellectual property using technological, legal, and social methods. You can hire consultants in all three areas if this is an important matter for you.

I will give you a free tip here: the most important way to protect your intellectual property is to directly control your own domain names and domain name registry account. 

Latest Articles
Learning Paths