🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Could I ask for a profile review from a clien...
Page options
gerrit90
Community Member

Please, Review My Profile

Hey guys,

this is my first time posting here.
I am on UpWork for a few month now, and it starts to get a little bit momentum.
This week I will breach the 1000 Dollar total earnings. 

However, I am still pretty unsatisfied, how few of my proposals come back with an interview invitation.

Could you guys give me a short review of my profile?
What do you like?
What dont you like?
What would you change?

I would appreciate any Feedback!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation here.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

1,400 REPLIES 1,400

Hi Monirul,

Please, update your profile picture and crop it closer around your face. Your profile description can be revised as well. Please focus more on your skills and experience to attract potential clients and remove the phrase about being contacted via Skype, gTalk, etc. Initial contact will have to be via Upwork.

Thank you!

~ Valeria
Upwork
backman91
Community Member

Hi,

I didn´t find the answer at Help, or FAQ, or forum at all. Also there is no online chat support or even e-mail to support, so I have to ask here.

I was unable to submit my profile due to bad profile photo. So I change it to my passport photo, but after I click on "Resubmit profile" button, it says, that I have to correct the issue - which  was my poor photo.

So I have no idea what to do, whereas I can´t find any help operator on this server.

Thanks for your answers, and sorry for uninteresting post.

Hi David,

Unfortunately, I can't be of much assistance to you regarding your current issue, however, I can tell you that Upwork does have email support.

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us

If you copy the link above into your browser (which you can easily find on your dashboard by clicking on the "?" button at the top right of the screen, then selecting "Help and Support," and click the big green "Submit a Request" button, it will allow you to open a support ticket where you can request assistance from a CS rep. 

My advice: if you don't receive a response to this thread from the very helpful Community members here, try opening a ticket. I will say this, though, I was able to view your profile.

Hi David,

Thanks for updating your profile picture. Your profile has been accepted. There are still a couple of small errors in your overview though. So I suggest you take another look at your profile before you get to applying for jobs.

~ Valeria
Upwork

From reviewing many complaints, it seems that the claim: "You should hear back within 12 hours." is patently false. 

Why not offer a more realisitic timeline?

re: "From reviewing many complaints, it seems that the claim: 'You should hear back within 12 hours.' is patently false. Why not offer a more realisitic timeline?"

It is a factual statement that some person or a group of people at Upwork discussed the timeline and decided to set a goal for responding within 12 hours. This is the meaning of "you should hear back within 12 hours." It is a goal that was set.

This is different from saying "You will hear back within 12 hours."

Yes, this is confusing, and has caused undue consternation. The more complete statement would be:

"Our supervisors believe that you should hear back from us within 12 hours, but this almost certainly won't happen. We are actually turning these around within 2 to 5 days."

I do not foresee that version being approved.

Here is what I suggest, to provide a more accurate prediction of what a new contractor can expect, and to cut down on unnecessary communications to customer support and redundant frustrated posts in the Community Forum:

"Depending on the current request volume, you can expect to hear back from us within 1 to 7 days. Profiles which conform to published Upwork standards, which demonstrate sincere effort on the part of the contractor, and which impress us as being representative of contractors who will be a genuine asset to the Upwork community will be processed more readily. Significant problems with your profile are likely to delay its approval, and may cause a delay in your hearing back from us."

marjeagustin
Community Member

Hi,

I'm a newbie here and just created a profile yesterday. Got a message that it'll be under review and should her back after 12 hrs. My profile is now 100% completed and its passed 12hrs now and not getting any feedback. just so excited to get a new job here. Pls check and advised.

thanks,

Marje

Welcome to Upwork, Marje!

Your profile has been reviewed and approved so you should be able to apply for jobs now. 

Please read the Getting Started as a Freelancer section of the Hep Center. I also advise watching our educational videos and reading the best practice advice shared by other users:

Building a Freelancer Profile

Freelancer Tutorial Videos

Want to get that first job? Then check this out...

Proposal Workshop Video

To help you work safely on Upwork, please have a look at tips and warning signs shared in this thread.

~ Valeria
Upwork
nishali6677
Community Member

Hi,

I created my odesk profile two days ago.

But my profile is still under review.

Why is that?

So please tell me what can be done about it?

Thank you

Hi Nishali,

Please improve your profile overview by fixing grammar and punctuation errors, and use complete sentences to describe your past experience and skills. Furthermore, streamline your profile title to reflect your area of expertise.

You can find more advice and tips in the Help articles below:

How to Complete Your Profile

Profile Overview

Profile Title

Sample Profile

~ Vladimir
Upwork

@Vladimir G wrote:

Hi Nishali,

Please improve your profile overview by fixing grammar and punctuation errors, and use complete sentences to describe your past experience and skills. Furthermore, streamline your profile title to reflect your area of expertise.

You can find more advice and tips in the Help articles below:

How to Complete Your Profile

Profile Overview

Profile Title

Sample Profile

Maybe you should make a specific thread for these requests, like with how to get that first job.... this would ease up the congestion in this thread... there's way too many people looking for help. 

A moderator could consolidate all the past profile review threads onto one, and funnel new such requests into that thread.

Mariska and I could probably do it ourselves if we were granted temporary moderator status. (Are you with me on this, Mariska?)

(I am serious about consolidation of threads... But I am kidding about temp mod status. I would really be willing to volunteer, but I know Upwork wouldn't grant that.)

@Nishali I wrote:

Hi,

I created my odesk profile two days ago.

But my profile is still under review.

Why is that?

So please tell me what can be done about it?

Thank you

Ask customer service Nishali, they're the only ones that could give you the answer you need.  

This should be told to all people that are wondering why their profiles are still under review. 

I just noticed this freelancer's query was from a while back. Hopefully the profile still isn't under review 🙂 

rathodviral
Community Member

Hi,

I update my profile with upwork but I got message "your profile require changes." Please any one guide me to update my profile, so I will be able to update and can access my profile.

I hope any one help me to solve this issue.

Thanks,

Viral,

One of the problems with your current profile is that your current profile photo is very difficult to understand and make a decision about.

Any deviation from what Upwork approval workers expect to see in a quality profile is a possibl source of delay in getting your profile approved.

I also think your portfolio item titled "Marvel's Super Heros" is difficult to understand.

Were you artist who created Spider-Man and Marvel's other super-heroes?

Even when I read the the more caption for that portfolio item it is difficult for me to understand what it is that you did on that project. I also wonder if the Upwork approvers looking at your profile and portfolio are simply uncomfortable with the inclusion of artwork which seems to (a) have been created by somebody else and (b) probably represents a bit of "playing fast and loose" with intellectual property.

I personally don't have a problem with you experimenting with some software or artistic techniques using images downloaded from the Marvel Comics website, but I'm not sure that this is the best thing to include in your personal portfolio.

Is there a specific reason you decided to spell "heroes" incorrectly?

Your mixture of graphic design with JavaScript development is confusing. It is not a sound strategy to mix these together as a newbie. You should focus on one skill for now, and only add additional skills after you have completed some jobs.

Also, when you state: "I have skilled JavaScript developers who are also well acquainted with huge practical concept of designing and theoretical concepts of web services"...

...it really sounds to me like you are presenting yourself as an agency or company or something.

It sounds to me like you know how to design T-shirts, and if somebody wants to create a website, you have people working under you who know how to write JavaScript source code and design web services.

Of course I don't like that at all. I want to hire somebody to do something for me. I don't want to hire somebody who will hand off assignments to his underlings.

These are just some of the things that I suspect the Upwork approval people might find confusing and challenging. If I was one of them, I would click the "skip" button on your profile and hope that somebody else would be assigned to review it.

bblundstrom
Community Member

Seeking help with my profile. Would hugely appreciate hearing some feedback and opinions on areas for improvement. Three months ago I transferred my Elance account to Upwork and have had no success.   I have bid on hundreds of jobs and literally only landed a couple.   Blows my mind,  any suggestions or ideas would be helpful.  Thanks guys!

Best regards,

-Brad Lundstrom 

jay_vaishnani
Community Member

Thanks for reading this post.

I am new to up work and trying hard to get my first project. I have been trying since last 3 to 4 months to get my first project, but I don't know what is wrong with my profile or me. I am not able to get a single project. Please give me your suggestion and advise if there is anything wrong.

Thanks again.

Jay Vaishnani

Anonymous-User
Not applicable

@Jay V wrote:

Thanks for reading this post.

I am new to up work and trying hard to get my first project. I have been trying since last 3 to 4 months to get my first project, but I don't know what is wrong with my profile or me. I am not able to get a single project. Please give me your suggestion and advise if there is anything wrong.

Thanks again.

Jay Vaishnani

Be clever - play possum! What is that? Freelancer and agency profile and only one agency member: you. Moreover, your agency profile contains a link to your company (with contact info), described as an establised company. False game...  

Thanks Margarete,

I was planning to add more member, but I decided to remove the agency and will start playing solo. Do you have any other suggestion?

Thanks again for your reply.

Jay Vaishnani

Thanks to you Margarete I got few jobs. Completed my first project working on second and the third project's Client's account is suspended. What a bummer I completed work and before I submit the work I got that Suspended symbol and I was like "WHAT". It was a great help. Thank you again

Jay Vaishnani

tnmadhu
Community Member

Hi

Im Madhu, i have MS office experience and also can do data entry copy pasting works but im not able to get single job till now i have sent the proposals but no use. i dont have any snapshots to present as my experience.

can anyone help me out pls..

Thanks in advance

Regards

Madhu

Considering your profile, you won't land a job here Madhu, sorry. Maybe Preston will chime in and explain why, but you will probably never come back here to see his answer. Nor mine.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

Um, okay. Thank you for the invite, Rene.

Rene may be alluding to the fact that Madhu lists over 20 different, mostly unrelated job skills on her profile, yet provides no portfolio pieces or other evidence to back up any of her claims. This is basically the opposite of how one succeeds as a newbie contractor on Upwork. I do not believe there is a single aspect of Madhu's profile page which is optimal for getting hired. The fact that she has not been hired after two months of trying would suggest to many people that different tactics are in order.

To speak bluntly to Madhu: You need to completely redo your profile in a way that suggests professional-level expertise in only ONE skill (including an ample, demonstrative portfolio of work that is recognizably distinct and identifiably yours). Or you need to stop coming to the Upwork website entirely.

You say you have no "snapshots" demonstrating your experience. They are not "snapshots" or screenshots. Contractors upload actual work they have done. If you have none, then I need you to spend at least three months working steadily on new projects that demonstrate your abilities. Then post them as your portfolio.

Capture d’écran 2016-02-04 à 14.41.55.jpg

-----------
iqbal-suleman
Community Member

Hi Guy!

Hope you all are doing well. Recently I've posted some message here & recevied positve comments & tips from fellow freelancers. So now I've just updated my overview & title so please can you look at & give your're taughts on it?

**edited for Community Guidelines**

Thanks,

Suleman

No way!, you don't need self-marketing anymore.

51 jobs are more than enough!

In fact, It's time for you to grab some pizza to motivate the newbies around.Robot tongue

Hi Joy! 

Good to hear. It's not that pleasing as it seen on my profile. I'm still strugiling to get big projects. I have leave my day job for over a year & focus to turn freelancing into full time earning. So I'm still finding ways to be a great freelancer. but thanks for your comment. Hopefully you will also do well in upwork. 🙂

Thanks,

Suleman

jaidevpratima
Community Member

Hello

I've been a member of Upwork for more than two months now but so far I did not receive any job offers.

Here's my profile : https://community.upwork.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/75717 

Please let me know if I need to improve something to receive jobs.

Thanks & Regards,

Pratima

shamnaz
Community Member

Does it needs long description about project requirement, my experience etc.

What is steps follow and flow of the cover letter, help me

Thanks

Shamnaz

shamnaz
Community Member

Hi, I am member of upworks ince November 2015. My profile ishttps://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~01304d7efa44122f8f How can I improve it to get more jobs? Currently, after sending out 60 above job applications,I have awarded only 2 jobs.  i have some job applications which have not been responded to.  

Can i withdraw it ?

How to imrpove my profile togetmore jobs.Pelase advice

Thnaks 

Shamnaz

angeloacr
Community Member

Hello! I'm writing you because I want some help. Could you check out my profile and feed me back with the things you like and the ones you dislike, aside of the things you'll change or add? It will be very helpful to me. Thanks in advance!

"I'm a venezuelan electronic engineer who wants to improve his skills by doing every kind of job."

reads this way:

"I'm a venezuelan electronic engineer who is completly desperate and who is willing to take any kind of job."

The rest of the profile is consistent with this. You're an electrical engineer, you have no business seeking data entry or web research jobs. You have way more marketable skills.

-----------

re: "I'm a venezuelan electronic engineer who wants to improve his skills by doing every kind of job."

I'm an American database designer who loves watching "MasterChef" and wants to learn how to cook fantastic meals for his friends. But I don't charge people to eat the lousy stuff I make at this point along the learning curve.

re: "How to imrpove my profile togetmore jobs.Pelase advice"

Shamnaz:
It seems like there literally are a million other contractors on Upwork from your country who claim to have exactly the same set of skills as you.

Why should a contractor hire you instead of one of them if you all offer the same thing?

Furthermore, why would YOU want to be like everybody else? I earn a lot of money on Upwork in large part because nobody else here is like me.

kissgabor2030
Community Member

Recently, I have gotten into the habit of polishing my profile each and every day. Before this turns into a (rather unhealthy) obsession for me, I would kindly like someone (or a few persons), to check and let me know, which parts do get their attention (what they find most important/look for first) and which ones don't. All of my thanks in advance!

ranjeet98
Community Member

Hello Naomi N

I am Ranjit and going to start my online business on upwork as a graphic and web designer. I have my account on upwork and i do bid on designing jobs but my badluck is i do never get hired since now from 3-4 months. So can you rewiev my account and help me to find out what am doing wrong in my account.

My account is : **edited for Community Guidelines**

Thanks

Ranjit.

cicilia_francis
Community Member

Hi,

I am new to Upwork and want some experts to review my profile.

I have read that the profile should be great as it i the entry point.

So please reivew my profile and let me know if it needs any changes.

Thanks,

Cicilia

Are those envato themes?

das_shawon
Community Member

hi suzanne 

i am shawon from bangladesh! i am tryig to get job in this platfrom ! will you please see my ID  and tell me how can i improve ? or any referance to get job ?  

Thanks

Anonymous-User
Not applicable

@Shawon D wrote:

hi suzanne 

i am shawon from bangladesh! i am tryig to get job in this platfrom ! will you please see my ID  and tell me how can i improve ? or any referance to get job ?  

Thanks

What is that: earned 2 USD since August 2015 and 12 USD since March 2015 and has a 100% JSS??? One job: Expert needed for lead generation and classified ads = 1 USD fees and five stars Woman Surprised Why worrying about a declining JSS. Do a few 1-Dollar-jobs for a "good friend", get 5 stars from him and your JSS will recover! That is the way how some freelancers get their excellent JSS. Therefore the credibility of the JSS has to be questioned.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths