🐈
» Forums » Clients » Customer's bank has reversed payment more tha...
Page options
charlesaverill
Community Member

Customer's bank has reversed payment more than a month after the payment date for no apparent reason

My ability to withdraw funds has been disabled because a client who happily agreed to pay me has reversed the payment. This doesn't seem right and I want to dispute it. What's going on here that I missed? How could this not be used to exploit freelancers if I don't even have the ability to dispute this?
3 REPLIES 3
joanbonjoc
Community Member

Hi Matthew,

Please refer to the ticket our team sent you and post any questions you have on that ticket thread. Thanks.

~ Jo-An

Untitled
kat303
Community Member

When a chargeback is initiated, the bank/credit card account takes back the funds from Upwork and then Upwork takes back those funds from you. You're ability to withdraw funds is probably because Upwork doesn't want you to withdraw them until they take out the amount of the chargeback from you. Othewise, if you transfer them then Upwork will take out all future earnings from completed jobs from you until that amount is reached. If you still have funds in your Upwork account, it's probably easier for them to do that.

rwhidbee23
Community Member

I recently had a similar issue, which I found odd given the client had provided a favorable rating and during the job asked for multiple iterations.  However, I provided all work via Upwork's platform so Upwork was able to verify the work and not charge me.  However, I do believe this could be exploited by malcious clients, especially for freelancers new to Upwork.  Given the Chat feature in Upwork is a bit buggy, I could easily see malcious clients asking for drafts outside of Upwork then reversing the charge.  

Latest Articles
Learning Paths