🐈
» Forums » Clients » Customer sending multiple jobs on only one co...
Page options
04b984ba
Community Member

Customer sending multiple jobs on only one contract

I have a contract with the somebody, 
She sent me questions to help with her question and aswer's for her lesson as a mentor, I answered them in detail and sent it to her, we agreed on this for 30 dollars.
Then she sent another assignment without completing my payment and said can you help with these as well. I did this just once. Then she didn't pay me and she still sends me homework on the same contract. She's not paying me either. The replies I sent etc. are all recorded. How can I do that ?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

It is a violation of Upwork TOS for a client to ask a freelancer to work for free. This client is violating Upwork ToS.

You should stop communicating with this client immediately. Stop doing anything for her.

Click the Submit button if you have not already done so.

If you are going to provide allowable tutoring or training in accordance with Upwork TOS, that is totally fine. But you must no longer work for this client or help her until she releases all money in escrow to you AND closes the current contract AND creates a new hourly contract. ONLY provide tutoring or training services while logging time on an HOURLY contract.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
yofazza
Community Member

Those jobs are not allowed.

Jobs that aren't permitted on Upwork

Here are some examples:

• Academic cheating. Providing work for a student to submit under their own name for credit or taking a test on behalf of a student.

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/1500007578942-What-kind-of-jobs-aren-t-allowed-on-Upwor...

I'll click the Submit Work for Payment button and tell her that you'll report it to her school/college.

04b984ba
Community Member

I dont know is she a student or not ? But she sent me some question and answer. And I check the questions and explain to her with documents. I thought it was a mentorship. What exactly do I need to do? This was a fixed price project

yofazza
Community Member

Be firm in requesting the milestone release, look at Preston's answer below.

prestonhunter
Community Member

It is a violation of Upwork TOS for a client to ask a freelancer to work for free. This client is violating Upwork ToS.

You should stop communicating with this client immediately. Stop doing anything for her.

Click the Submit button if you have not already done so.

If you are going to provide allowable tutoring or training in accordance with Upwork TOS, that is totally fine. But you must no longer work for this client or help her until she releases all money in escrow to you AND closes the current contract AND creates a new hourly contract. ONLY provide tutoring or training services while logging time on an HOURLY contract.

I sent her a job, should I wait 14 days to get the payment? This is fixed price

04b984ba_0-1675770775298.png

Yes.

Click Submit.

Then wait 14 days.

bobafett999
Community Member

In your first post you wrote,"She sent me questions to help with her homework".

You must have known it is academic work and those jobs are not allowed.  You helped her cheat.

No, she frankly told me to support her answers and that she need some support for her C programming questions. I don't know if this is prohibited. Because there are many mentor postings. Also, this person has worked on upwork similarly to many others, and I can see that from their past ratings.
Her profile showing like this:

04b984ba_0-1675782034595.png

You are certainly allowed to tutor, train, mentor and teach people on Upwork.

If you have questions about what is allowed and what isn't, you can research that in Upwork documentation, TOS docs, and the Forum. That is a different topic than a client asking for free work.

Anyway, it is completely inappropriate for a client to hire a freelancer for mentoring work using a fixed-price contract and then ask for additional work.

But the responsibility for setting the contract up correctly is the FREELANCER'S.

As the professional freelancer who knows about mentoring work, you should know how to set up the contract so that you are paid appropriately. Rarely will it make sense to use fixed-price.

Hello,
She is trying to send new documents and she treats me, She said If the work completed i will cancel your contracts and she says she will vote me negative. I want to report this person, how can I do that?

re: "I want to report this person, how can I do that?"

I don't believe that you can obtain the best results for yourself by planning to "report" somebody.

Reporting somebody is about helping OTHER people.

You should focus on helping YOURSELF right now.

I'm not telling you to never report this client. I'm saying that you should focus 100% on solutions that do NOT involve contacting Upwork Customer Support or relying on others or waiting for other people to do things. Focus on what you can do for yourself.

You know better than that. We've been told many times by Upwork staff that feedback from certain "bad" clients is disregarded, so reporting could certainly help OP with her concerns.

Follow the instructions that CJ wrote in this post. Specify the reason as "feedback manipulation"

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Duygu, 

I checked your contract, and it looks like you requested payment by submitting work on the milestone. Note that when you submit a payment request, the client has fourteen days to review the work submitted. The client may request revisions or release the money in escrow ahead of the fourteen-day countdown. If the client requests a revision, the fourteen-day clock is reset and will restart when you resubmit work. Here's more information on how it works. 

In this case, it looks like you submitted work recently, but the contract has already ended. If the client requests revisions and you need to take further steps, you can dispute the client's non-release of milestone payment. You may read more about it here.

~ Avery
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths