🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: Dealing with a difficult client
Page options
aichan01
Community Member

Dealing with a difficult client

Hi everyone, so a little back story. I sent a proposal for this job that seemed right for me. The client replied and I started working. They negotiated the price with me and said they had a lot of work for me so I shouldn't charge them a lot. For the first illustration there was a little misunderstanding, they wanted everything from scratch I used some ready-made designs in it and they made me do it all again which I did and did not charge them extra. They hadn't cleared stuff to me just told me to draw how I usually do it. 

But there was no proper communication they weren't telling me what exactly they want I was providing them with sketches and they would reject or accept according to their likeness. There wasn't any agreement of me provding the direct source file either but I still gave it when they asked for it. They don't make any effort on their part and I have to work extra because of this. Even if I asked them to tell me what they want me to draw they ignored it. I got fed up, asked a few fellow people who work on upwork as well and they adviced me I should leave if it's too much for me. 

They are demanding something different than what the initial reference they showed me and I'm not getting paid enough for this. I just finished the second illustration and they haven't yet released the milestone for it even though I have submitted the work. I asked them to do it then I'll work further they said they'll do it later and started asking me about the next sketch.

If I end the contract what will happen to the milestone? I honestly don't want to work with this client anymore. It's really hard to get through them and there is not proper communication. They reply really late and only with a few words. My google drive is being used to upload the work on which I found weird as well, usually clients provide a place. 

I want to leave this job and work on something that doesn't give me this much anxiety. 

1 REPLY 1
JoanneP

Hi Aiman,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with this client. I can understand that you are no longer interested to continue working with this client. It would be best to reach out to your client to let them know that you no longer wish to continue working with them. Politely explain to them why and make sure to click on the 'Submit Work for Payment' option. Once you submit your work, your client has 14 days to review and either approve the milestone or ask for changes. If they approve, the funds in escrow will be released to you. If your client takes no action for 14 days, the funds are automatically released to you..

~ Joanne
Upwork
Latest Articles
Learning Paths