cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debit Card Billing Method On Hold *

9f756620
Arvid P Member Since: Oct 30, 2016
1 of 12

So upwork blocked my company-account, saying the credit card is invalid, wanting me to add another credit card.

They got about $500 out of that cc before claiming it is invalid.

Worse, they're withholding the money from the freelancers that i paid through the platform as well.

This all smells like scam and now i'm scared that adding another cc will just make things worse. Anyone got experience with this and can say that this will resolve eventually?

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 12

Is your credit card valid and NOT a prepaid card? Was it successfully verified? Is it in your name?

The money will either be be paid out to the freelancers or returned to the card. It might take a few days to resolve though.

9f756620
3 of 12

yeah, debit and on my personal name even. So this is normal? I'm just hoping they don't run with it leaving everyone unpaid :/ 

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
4 of 12

Hi Arvid,

Debit cards can't be used as a billing method on Upwork, as our agent explained in the notification you received earlier today, so please follow their instructions and update your billing method in order to quickly resolve the issue with your financial account. Our agent will respond to the message you posted on your ticket but please note that you won't be allowed to use the debit card you added.

Untitled
9f756620
5 of 12

That's simply a lie, it says debit or credit card right here:

2016-10-30-152153_1920x1080_scrot.png 

so if debit cards are not allowed, why does it allow me adding then? then you charge me from it, but later refuse to pay the contractors on the basis that this is a debit card?

That's just fraud

petra_r
Community Guru
6 of 12

Debit cards can be used if they are not pre-paid and behave like credit cards, which most do not.

9f756620
7 of 12

well that would explain the difference, thanks alot Petra.

Mine is clearly a regular debit card with a company account behind it (the only one we have for the record, so there is no way to add another, even if i wanted to). This is perfectly normal in Europe. Maybe not in the US, no idea.

I even sent them the IBAN, but maybe they just haven't got to it yet.

Anyway, withholding money from contractors and them just requesting another cc just makes this sound like they have no interest in fixing this.

petra_r
Community Guru
8 of 12

Can you use PayPal?

You won't be able to use that card. BUT you could try adding it as the funding source to PayPal and then using PayPal.

I know it's a pain, but your money is safe, it'll be returned to the card it came from.

9f756620
9 of 12

yeah, but upwork requires the highest verification from paypal which will take several weeks.

I started that, so maybe next month..

But i completly lost trust in upwork and have little confidence that adding paypal will make them release the cash.

Instead i filed a complaint with my bank, seems faster and easier.

petra_r
Community Guru
10 of 12

@Arvid P wrote:

Instead i filed a complaint with my bank, seems faster and easier.

I verified my PayPal in 10 minutes, and filing a chargeback is a REALLY bad idea, as that will get you suspended.

Just give it a day or two. Filing a false chargeback can negatively affect your bank account as well. BAD idea!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS