Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Declined Invitations

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Marissa A Member Since: Apr 29, 2015
1 of 69

Hello,

For some time now every time an invited freelancer declines the invitation I just get a simple message saying that it was declined. As I am also a freelancer, I know that you have to provide a reason to decline the invitation and this would be very helpful for clients to know. Sometimes they are just busy and I'd like to know if it would be alright to contact them again in the future. Sometimes the budget is too low, and if I can't offer more then I know I can't contact them again, but if I can offer more if the freelancer is really experienced, I would like to still contact them and ask them for a quote or consider them in the future.

Before they changed again the platform, I could at least go to the freelancers invitation (aftr following a series a steps) and find out what option they had chosen. But with the new platform this is impossible. I only get the message that the freelancer declined the interview.

Marissa

Highlighted
Community Guru
Chris M Member Since: May 6, 2015
2 of 69

Hi Marissa,

Your post is very interesting...

I'm a freelancer - when I decline I always tick a reason and include a small message, - I expect the Client might read it.

Are you saying that Clients don't have the facility to read my explanations?

Can a moderator advise on this please.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Lisa W Member Since: Nov 14, 2015
3 of 69

If I remember correctly, there's a little message from Upwork that says something along the lines of 'We will politely let the client know you've declined the application.'

On recent invites I've gone into more detail about why I'm declining, which isn't always kind to the client. My message is more to Upwork - as in, stop allowing clients to post these jobs/not provide adequate information/post in the wrong section/ask for free work/etc.

Maybe Upwork doesn't want to pick and choose when it should give the whole reason or just a partial reason to remain 'polite', so it is sticking to a standard 'freelancer declined' message for everyone.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
4 of 69

Lisa,

If you put this message next to the "other" option, then it won't arrive to the client. But if you out it in the box below then it will be sent to the client.

Community Guru
Lisa W Member Since: Nov 14, 2015
5 of 69

@Marissa A wrote:

Lisa,

If you put this message next to the "other" option, then it won't arrive to the client. But if you out it in the box below then it will be sent to the client.

Is this just something that you've observed or is there an official Upwork explanation for this procedure? That would be very interesting, because many times my message is strictly to Upwork. For example, I got an invite from a client a while back that required an unpaid 'test job' as part of the application.

I eventually declined for 'asking for free work' but in messaging with the client I explained that free work was against the TOS. He claimed that Upwork told him a small sample test job was acceptable and didn't fall under the free work category. So when I declined the invite, I wrote a message to Upwork in the box below describing the situation and telling them to clarify the policies because people were obviously confused.

It would be unfortunate if these messages actually went to the client when it's the Upwork TOS that I was really criticizing in my response.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
6 of 69

I say this because of my own experience as a client. Only sometimes I get a detailed message from the freelancer saying why they have declined the invitation (in their own words).

The only message box when you decline says:

Include a Message (optional)

So I believe that's where they input their message and that's what I receive as a client.

It doesn't say anywhere the message is for Upwork.

As a freelancer I always assumed the message was for the client and that's what my experience as a client has proven.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
7 of 69

I never give a reason unless the budget is really low. Then I choose budget too low. I don't trust the algorithms to stop sending me invites if I choose "too busy" or something like that. I'm always up for contracts if the price is right.

So, I always choose "other" and just put letters in there if it's not for me. Keeps any algorithm confused so they still keep sending them regardless of my current workload.

Highlighted
Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
8 of 69

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences. I’d like to address your remaining questions and feedback:

• Your availability settings can only be changed by you, and are not affected by declining a job. However, if you’re consistently declining invitations we will evaluate this information do things like show a pop-up window recommending for you to change your availability settings, again we wont do this for you. 

• The reason you choose for declining an invite won’t count against you. It is useful informatiion for us to collect regarding the job. 

• Lastly, we are considering a change on how the decline page is displayed to make it clear what information is and is not shared with the client. Thanks for your feedback on this page.

-Lena

Untitled
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
9 of 69

Hi Lena,

Why did Upwork decide it isn't relevant for the clients to know the reason why their invitation is being declined? Why will this information remain hidden? As I mentioned before, if you decline using the app then there's no option to send a personalized message, you just select a reason and that's it! I guess your idea moving forward will be to get more and more people using the app as well and add more features, but if this is just going to stay like this, it's going to be a hassle for clients to know the reasons and to know if it is ok to reach the freelancer for future projects (for example if he/she is busy at the time) or not (if the job is not a fit for their skills).

Marissa

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mariska P Member Since: Apr 27, 2015
10 of 69

@Marissa A wrote:

Hi Lena,

Why did Upwork decide it isn't relevant for the clients to know the reason why their invitation is being declined? Why will this information remain hidden? As I mentioned before, if you decline using the app then there's no option to send a personalized message, you just select a reason and that's it! I guess your idea moving forward will be to get more and more people using the app as well and add more features, but if this is just going to stay like this, it's going to be a hassle for clients to know the reasons and to know if it is ok to reach the freelancer for future projects (for example if he/she is busy at the time) or not (if the job is not a fit for their skills).

Marissa

Just curious Marissa, does this only apply to the app?

I'm wondering because when I decline a job (on my laptop, not the app), I always try to write why I'm declining and add a nice 'best wishes' type thing. If I'm going through all this and the client isn't receiving it, what's the point of me writing a nice decline note, yaknow?   

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS