Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Declined Invitations

Highlighted
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
31 of 69

It might not change it any more then - but even that message is unwarranted interference IMO. I even get that if I accept a couple of contracts at the same time. I wish they'd just let us get on with it. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
32 of 69

@David G wrote:

I checked the "too busy" option a few days ago. The system didn't change my availability but it did show a pop-up message saying that if I'm too busy, I should change my availability setting.

This happened to me too back when I was a weee Upwork noob. On Elance, I don't think it mattered. When I got the popup, I thought "oooh, I think this was a mistake." lol So I don't choose that option anymore. 

Highlighted
Melissa J Member Since: Feb 22, 2016
33 of 69

As a freelancer, I never assumed that the message involved was for the client; after all, there is that saying: "Assuming just makes an - out of ...". You get the picture.

I, however, was always curious where my message was going, to whom the message relayed to, and whether or not this would affect my status or availability in some way.

Maybe it's 'Freelancer Paranoia' as I've seen a few threads discussing clients having too much control over the platform and the functionalities of each contract. 

If Upwork is using these messages and our chosen options as a means to dictate our availability (Option: "too busy"), determine our preferred job rates (Option: "Budget too low"); I'd like to know about it, I'd like to, at least, have them acknowledge their use of these algorithms, because our profiles and success as freelancers, highly depend on it. 

When searching the community and support articles, all I was able to find was this. Quickly note, that it does not state what happens after the Freelancer declines (or accepts).  It just indicates you receive the declination and doesn't specify what reason was selected. 

I would suggest, as a client did with me previously, to send a message directly to the freelancer along with the invitation. When a previous client did this, I was able to see the offered interview as well as to respond through Upwork Messaging as a means of letting the Client know why I declined. For freelancers who are concerned about Upwork Algorithms and how this affects their JSS, this scenario may suit your needs; as you can then choose Option: "Other" and just relay why you are declining through message-form. 

- Melissa

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
34 of 69

Hi All,

We are following up with the team in order to get complete information and answers to your questions about the decline reason.

We'll update this thread as soon as possible.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
35 of 69

So why bother with the box for  the nicey-nicey-letter, if it is not going to the client? 

I nearly always put 'other' (for the same reasons as Jennifer)  - and unless the job is seriously off track or badly paid - I nearly always reply to the client. Now I just feel like a nmad fool because I have written cozy words to the denmad I'll go rhythm. Cat Frustrated 

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Marissa A Member Since: Apr 29, 2015
36 of 69

Nichola, did you leave the message in the message box underneath or next to the word "other" in the part where you select a reason?

If you selected other, and wrote a message in there, that's not reaching the client.

If you wrote your message in the message box underneath (optional) then it reached the client.

I believe only the reason part (including other) is what clients are not able to see, because like I said I still get some freelancers who send me a message specifying their reason.

Highlighted
Community Guru
37 of 69

Marissa, thanks for clarifying that. Yes I do use the optional message box when I click 'other', and it's the one time when it's not optional - you have to write something, I usually write a  quick note of thanks and an explanation.

Edited to add: However, if I get an invitation where the budget is too low, I just check that option  without using the message box.

Ace Contributor
Marissa A Member Since: Apr 29, 2015
38 of 69

I have an invitation that I haven't yet decline, so I just checked it to see what you mean when you say that leaving a message is no longer optional.

-------------------

When you decline it says the following:

We will politely notify the client you are not interested.

Reason

Job is not a fit for my skills
Not interested in work described
Too busy on other projects
Client has too little Upwork experience
Proposed rate or budget too low
Spam Client asked for free work
Client asked to work outside Upwork
Other

Include a Message (optional)
[TEXT BOX]"

5000 characters left

Block this client from sending me any future invitations

-----------------

When you click "other" another box appears right below saying "Enter a reason".

Whatever you put in there won't be seen by the client. It's just another reason and as I have mentioned before, clients are no longer able to see this.

However, if you write a message in the text box below "Include a Message (optional)", then the client will receive whatever you write in there.
Highlighted
Community Guru
39 of 69

Marissa, I hope I have got it right, I think I have been replying in the second box, but I'm not 100% sure. I hope I get another invitation tonight (that I don't want to accept), and then I will be able to confirm.

I cannot understand why this refusal procedure is so complicated - and so secretive! Upwork seems to have developed into an arcane society, made up of sinister hidden elements, that freelancers and clients alike only seem to discover by accident.

Edited to add:

I have been using the correct message box to send messages to the client, but I was wrong about it being mandatory, it is optional (as they all are) but if one checks 'other' then you have to put a reason in the first box and that is obligatory.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Chris M Member Since: May 6, 2015
40 of 69

@Valeria K wrote:

Hi All,

We are following up with the team in order to get complete information and answers to your questions about the decline reason.

We'll update this thread as soon as possible.

Hi Valeria, Thanks for responding.

For clarification - we want to know exactly how and what is presented to the Client when we tick reasons and / or fill in the 'other' box and / or the message box. And also I want to know if the message box is private between Client and Freelancer.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS