Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Declined Invitations

Highlighted
Community Guru
Chris M Member Since: May 6, 2015
11 of 69

Hi Mariska,

Valeria has replied outlining what the client sees earlier later in the thread.

Only the message is sent to the Client, which I was glad about, because I usually use the message box to expand on the reason I declined  - and I too sometimes send best wishes in finding a more suitable freelancer. We're too nice aren't we : )

EDITED:

I wish new replies and posts were added to the end of a thread. It's getting very confusing.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mariska P Member Since: Apr 27, 2015
12 of 69

@Chris M wrote:

Hi Mariska,

Valeria has replied outlining what the client sees earlier in the thread.

Only the message is sent to the Client, which I was glad about, because I usually use the message box to expand on the reason I declined  - and I too sometimes send best wishes in finding a more suitable freelancer. We're too nice aren't we : )

Ohhh okay. Thanks Chris.

Nice? Yes. But to me, it's  more like class - which has never gone out of style in my world. Smiley Happy  

Highlighted
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
13 of 69

"However, if you’re consistently declining invitations we will evaluate this information do things like show a pop-up window recommending for you to change your availability settings"

Really? I should change my settings because Upwork can't figure out how to send relevant job recommendations and invites? I'm always available, yet I consistently have to decline because I'm not a realtor, nor an English linguist.

"Licensed Realtor or Broker to buy real estate online for our company"

"Need an English linguist competent with English history and evolution"

Highlighted
Sandeep K Member Since: Jul 19, 2016
14 of 69

Why some client infest contractors on upwork? I have faced 2-3  clients .. We peoples work hard all the day & night to earn some money and make good releationship with clients but they don't care about it ... they can do what they like because they are client and have a power. I have not worked with some clients because they their expectations was very high once they hired me also told me that they can have more work for you in future but nothing happened sometime. I think end contract with those client who are trying to infest contractors or force them to work on my low budget and if done they do not recognise the work you did.. Recently happened with me. I had almost done the job and asked client(**Edited for Community Guidelines**) to need some rest and will be back in 4-5 hours then will do the rest task. What happend when i came back.. i shocked .. when i knocked him he said what you did with the theme .. its showing its default version like you did nothing ... even i have worked with him according to the instructions. I was very upset at that time and thought i will have to fixed it . But when tried to logged in . shocked again .. wp credentials was not working. I rudely talk with him in a long conversation. Then he paid me a partial amount like $5 and asked to refund rest amount. I said i dont need your money i need an investigation on it .. Then he told me that i can give you 5 out of 5 .. i gave you 3 star. I said WOW! you'r a great man. You blaimed me and now paying me a partial amount for the job i have done almost. I am confused what should i do now. He game me $5 with a bad feedback so i cant accept that payment and he knew it. I had a very good profile and 100% rated last month but now my rating gone disappeared. I don't know why?. Sometime i faced same kind of problem to get some good rating from client and now when i have a good profile and suddnely went down just because of some stupid clients behaviour so tell me what should i do? Should i quit?

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Marissa A Member Since: Apr 29, 2015
15 of 69

When you decline an invitation as a freelancer and you add a personalized message, this is sent to the client. This is the only way I know what are their reasons. If you only mark one of the options they give you, I only get a message saying the freelancer declined the invitation.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Natacha R Member Since: Aug 2, 2010
16 of 69

@Marissa A wrote:

Hello,

For some time now every time an invited freelancer declines the invitation I just get a simple message saying that it was declined. As I am also a freelancer, I know that you have to provide a reason to decline the invitation and this would be very helpful for clients to know. Sometimes they are just busy and I'd like to know if it would be alright to contact them again in the future. Sometimes the budget is too low, and if I can't offer more then I know I can't contact them again, but if I can offer more if the freelancer is really experienced, I would like to still contact them and ask them for a quote or consider them in the future.

Before they changed again the platform, I could at least go to the freelancers invitation (aftr following a series a steps) and find out what option they had chosen. But with the new platform this is impossible. I only get the message that the freelancer declined the interview.

Marissa

I submitted a ticket about this 20 days ago, and this is the response I got:

Natasha, I have asked this issue to our Engineering team and they were able to confirm that the reason of withdrawal has been removed, or it is no longer visible on the Client's end.

Highlighted
This widget could not be displayed.
17 of 69
This widget could not be displayed.

Some time ago I have seen emails on the email-fake platform where emails from Upwork freelancers to "bogus clients" were visible. When a freelancer chose the option "other reasons" and explained in the box that he suspected fraud, the "bogus client" could see this info and other freelancers have been suggested to him. Since I have seen this I avoid other reasons at least in case when I distrust the client and prefer to report him to CS.

Highlighted
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
18 of 69

Natasha wrote, "Natasha, I have asked this issue to our Engineering team and they were able to confirm that the reason of withdrawal has been removed, or it is no longer visible on the Client's end."

Talk about a wishy-washy answer, "removed, or it is no longer visible"? Sounds like they're not sure why it's not there.

I almost always choose "Not interested in the job" (or whatever the exact phrase is), and naturally assumed clients would be so informed. Now maybe I have to add in writing, "Thank you for the invitation but I'm not interested in this job"? And do I still choose the "Not interested' option, or do I have to choose 'Other'? It would be nice if a moderator would comment about all this.

Marissa A Member Since: Apr 29, 2015
19 of 69

I think you always have to chose one of the reasons they give and then if you want to actually tell the client you need to fill in the message box below where it says "(optional)".

Sometimes I get freelancers who decline the interview and when I ask them they tell me something really basic like they don't speak the language I am requesting and they were suggested by Upwork!!!!

Sometimes I need people from a specific region or country and I add that special request in my job post and then I get suggested freelancers from anywhere but the country or region I needed.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Chris M Member Since: May 6, 2015
20 of 69

Hi John,

Yeah - would be good if a moderator could tell us exactly what happens to our declined invitation info and how it is presented to the Client.

I always tick a relevant reason or 'other' and write a short message. It's the polite thing to do.

I assume the declined info is for the Client, not Upwork. As far as I'm concerned it's a private communication between client and freelancer - I hope Upwork isn't privvy to it.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS