Community Guru
Olga Q Member Since: Sep 5, 2012
61 of 69

Screen Shot 2016-03-16 at 18.56.38.png

Highlighted
Luciano A Member Since: May 24, 2016
62 of 69

Hello, 

I posted a job recently and received 6+ declines to my invitations. I had no idea why my post is consitently declined...

Is the task not attainable? 

Am I asking for it to be done using the wrong programming language?

Are all requested freelancers too busy?

Is the task too difficult?

I have specified clearly on the task that it can be split into separate projects if any portion of it needs to be re-assigned to someone else. Also mentioned that my task can be paid per hour or project.

All I want is someone to respond...so recently I asked freelancers to send me a fee request to just talk to me about the project for 30 mins. Still 3 declines!

It would be nice to know why so many declined invitations. I chatted with support and they kindly told me that it looks like the freelancers I selected are too busy but this round about took me 3 days so far.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Sandra T Member Since: Nov 26, 2014
63 of 69

Pushing the thread out of curiosity whether Upwork still has this on their map?

And to stress that I too would like clients to be notified of the reason why an invitation was declined.

I started to keep track of invitations a bit as it has actually gotten much better than it used to. However, out of 38 invitations from the past 6 weeks, I declined 25. I would like clients to get the gist of why they were declined without having to do more than clicking a button or two.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
64 of 69

I'm one of those who always explains why I'm declining, because I thought the client was getting the message, but apparantly this is not the case.

As a client, you should know that many of us get invites that are so far out of our wheelhouse as to be on another planet, and that may be another reason for declines. A client can invite me to help sell real estate, but as a graphic designer, I have to politely decline.

I am constantly getting irrelevan invites, but whether that's the fault of the clients, or of Upwork, I can't say.

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
65 of 69

Virginia,

If you explain why you decline an invitation in the additional message box, the client receives the message via email. Please, see my post earlier on this thread:

@Valeria K. wrote:

Thank you all for waiting.

I would like to confirm that the reason you select for declining an invitation, including the text you enter in the field for "Other" is not displayed to the client.

If you choose to include a message, it'll be sent to the client in the email notification. Please, see the screenshots below:

Screenshot_3.png

Screenshot_5.png

The client will also see this, if they check the original invitation:

Screenshot_4.png

Please, let us know if you have any additional questions.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
66 of 69

@Valeria K wrote:

Virginia,

If you explain why you decline an invitation in the additional message box, the client receives the message via email. Please, see my post earlier on this thread:

@Valeria K. wrote:

Thank you all for waiting.

I would like to confirm that the reason you select for declining an invitation, including the text you enter in the field for "Other" is not displayed to the client.

If you choose to include a message, it'll be sent to the client in the email notification. Please, see the screenshots below:

Screenshot_3.png

Screenshot_5.png

The client will also see this, if they check the original invitation:

Screenshot_4.png

Please, let us know if you have any additional questions.

Valeria, IMHO you are cut out for greater things! Smiley Wink

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
67 of 69

All,

I'd like to update this thread with the information about a recent change in this area. Now by design decline reasons as well as the optional message is sent to the client. Freelancers are also informed about it when they decline an invite.

Thank you all for the feedback.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Steven E. L Member Since: May 5, 2015
68 of 69

Thank you for the information, Valeria.

Would it be possible to post another sample screenshot of the decline process for the benefit of those Freelancers who don't have much opportunity to decline contracts?  

Highlighted
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
69 of 69

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS